MBR Shower Hot Water Volume Slows To A Trickle - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2016, 01:07 PM   #1
Handy homeowner

Rewards Points: 4

MBR Shower Hot Water volume slows to a trickle

The hot water just dribbles out. Shower cold water can be full volume - doesn't appear to be a shower head issue. Both sinks in the master bath produce high volume hot water, warm in 15 seconds, too hot for your hand in 25 seconds. I have removed the HW ceramic cartridge a Grohe 45 883 000 and examined. Seemed to have some flecks in the fins. Blew it out, replaced, voila! full volume hot water. For a while. Days and showers later, same trickle. Suspect cartridge end seal washer of deteriorating, creating the flecks. Replace cartridge with new one. Same pattern of starting with full volume but volume falls even more quickly this time. It seems that just removing and replacing the HW cartridge remedies the situation for a few showers, but I'm getting tired of doing that!

Other info that may apply. We have hard water and no water softener. The shower in question is at the opposite end of the house from the hot water heater, about 80' with other baths, sinks etc in between. There is a hot water recirculating device next to the hot water heater that is a couple decades old, and runs full time, but I would guess that it is for the entire hot water line, not just the master bath shower.

Ideas? Thanks in advance for your interest and help.

Ken
RKennethBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2016, 01:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 628

Re: MBR Shower Hot Water volume slows to a trickle

Based on what you are describing, I would flush the line. Remove the cartridge, turn on the water, with someone holding a cup over the stream shooting out . Let the line clear itself and reinstall the cartridge
ZTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2016, 02:55 PM   #3
Handy homeowner

Rewards Points: 4

Re: MBR Shower Hot Water volume slows to a trickle

I forgot to mention that I did do this. Turned off the house water, removed the HW cartridge, turned house water back on full and shot about three gallons into the shower. Did this when I installed the new cartridge - didn't help.

Could it be an air pressure type of thing? Like something needs to be bled?

Thanks.
Ken
RKennethBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hot water doesn't last