Main Sewer Line Issue - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2015, 10:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 50

main sewer line issue

im looking at buying this house, it seems some strange repair happened ill explain.

this is on a house built in 1918 cast iron pipe was used originally

the grass outside looks to have been dug up, the cleanout coming out near the street is PVC pipe, and as you can see from the picture its all PVC inside the house, but there is a cast iron elbow going out at the bottom of the foundation,, this leads me to believe that the pipe outside may have been replaced up to some point before going into the house, is this a common way to do a repair on a main line to leave that part alone? I looked up the permit history but I found nothing was pulled for plumbing,

in the next picture you can see the work "eric" did with the PVC and waterlines as he took the time to write "eric" with a blow torch on the wall

I don't have all too great of hope for "erics" workmanship, but hey, whatever.

so what do you think about such a repair

also just one more question,, what do you think about these yellow flex lines for the gas, just wondering,, thanks for the help, tony
Attached Thumbnails
main sewer line issue-main.jpg   main sewer line issue-writ.jpg   main sewer line issue-flex.jpg  

Last edited by tony555; 03-10-2015 at 10:36 PM.
tony555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2015, 05:39 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,952

Yes it's common for that elbow to be left in that wall, but I would have added a clean out in the vertical pipe before connecting to it.
I would not have installed the water heater directly on the slab like that because it can cause corrosion.
Some local codes call for it to be sitting on a stand up off the floor and the relief valve be tied into a floor drain.
In CA the tank needs to be strapped to the wall.
Your lucky they already changed all the old plumbing, that and the wiring are two things that almost always needed to be addressed at some point in an old house.
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2015, 05:58 AM   #3
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

It might be good money spent to have a local plumber scope the lateral drain to the street----if it is newer--good news---if it is a patched up original,you will be glad you spent the money on a plumber.
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2015, 11:44 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,414

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Your lucky they already changed all the old plumbing, that and the wiring are two things that almost always needed to be addressed at some point in an old house.
Keep in mind it doesn't look like they changed out *all* the old plumbing--although changing out the exposed stuff is good. At least the 2" PVC there looks like it connects from an old pipe further up. If the 4" PVC connects to cast iron further up (can't tell from the photo), there may still be a lot of old plumbing in the house that will be expensive to replace and may or may not last through however long you own the house.
Tom738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:31 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,926

Since this a a presale I would ask your local plumbing authority what they charge for a inspection so you will be advised if the house is properly been plumbed. I have gone on 2 pre sale inspections and saved the potential new owner money and lots of grief.

All that new PVC in the house and no permits or inspection is not a good sign.

For one using a all rubber fernco above ground is not legal or a good proper plumbing connection.

Venting should be checked etc. etc.

This is the time to get your money off the sale so you can get legal repairs for your family.

Last edited by Ghostmaker; 03-11-2015 at 06:35 PM.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:55 PM   #6
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 1,012

Theres a couple things in those pictures i don't like as Ghost mentioned get it inspected and a permit records search i bet you'll be surprised at what you'll find

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:07 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 50

thanks for all the help guys, we are still up in the air on this house

also, just wondering,, what is the legal way to join pvc to cast iron, I figured rubber would be the only way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
Since this a a presale I would ask your local plumbing authority what they charge for a inspection so you will be advised if the house is properly been plumbed. I have gone on 2 pre sale inspections and saved the potential new owner money and lots of grief.

All that new PVC in the house and no permits or inspection is not a good sign.

For one using a all rubber fernco above ground is not legal or a good proper plumbing connection.

Venting should be checked etc. etc.

This is the time to get your money off the sale so you can get legal repairs for your family.
tony555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:10 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,926

A proflex fernco cast iron to plastic steel band coupling or a mission brand cast to plastic band coupling
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:08 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 22

I'm not a plumber. But from the reading I've been doing on here and the code book, the misuse of the wye's going from a horiztonal drain to a vertical stack would make we want to pay to have the rest of the place checked out. Using the incorrect fitting for that situation seems to be very low on the plumbing knowledge tree. If they messed that up then who knows what else.

Again I'm not a Plumber. I play with wires for a living.
Sayn3ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement