Low Water Pressure, Fine When Water Softener Is Bypassed - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2016, 06:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 56

Low water pressure, fine when water softener is bypassed

I was having a water pressure drop every once in a while. At one point, I could hardly get any water to come out of the shower. I went to the basement and bypassed the water softener and the pressure returned immediately.
The first time I noticed the water pressure drop was right after I had a new water heater installed. Since the cold and hot both lost pressure I thought it was a coincident. Now I wonder if something could have broken lose and maybe plugged something up in the water softener? Probably not likely but thought it would be worth mentioning. Thanks
sprtfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2016, 07:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,492

I agree with you, sounds like somethings wrong with your water softener. Maybe when they changed out the water heater sediment clogged it up. Idk.

How old is the water softener and when was the last time the resin was changed? May just need a good cleaning/flushing out. Check manual on how to do this.

Are you on well or city?
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmon For This Useful Post:
sprtfan (03-08-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2016, 08:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
I agree with you, sounds like somethings wrong with your water softener. Maybe when they changed out the water heater sediment clogged it up. Idk.

How old is the water softener and when was the last time the resin was changed? May just need a good cleaning/flushing out. Check manual on how to do this.

Are you on well or city?
The water softener is almost 10 years old and we are on city water. Its a Kenmore UltraSoft 480. The resin has never been changed. I'll check the manual on how to clean/flush it out. It very well be that it needs to be replaced. I'd like if it would last longer, but 10 years is better than some of my other appliances. Thanks for the info
sprtfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sprtfan For This Useful Post:
jmon (03-08-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement