Low Pressure/flow From One Shower Head - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2016, 09:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 121

Low pressure/flow from one shower head

The shower on my main floor has rather poor flow/pressure from the head.

The lower tub faucet works just fine.

When I removed the shower head and turned the shower on, instead of seeing a column of water the size of the pipe it's only about half the size.

Also when I engage the shower (pull up on the pull on the lower faucet) it takes 8 or 10 seconds for the water to start coming out of the head.

I'm on a well system with 30 lb's of pressure leaving my carbon filter and all my other faucets and showers run fine (including the one on the second floor)

Is it possible the mixing cartridge is clogged with carbon and simply needs to be replaced - the house was build in 1986 so its 40 years old at this point (but that surely would also affect the lower faucet too right?)

Any thoughts or pointers would be appreciated.

Thank you =)
scrupul0us is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2016, 08:11 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 18

Re: Low pressure/flow from one shower head

Since no one has answered you, i will try. Be aware that i am not a plumber.

I am assuming this is a single handle faucet. If so, i eould suggest removing the handle and then removing the cartridge, and feel inside to see if there is any debris. Obviously you would turn off the shutoffs behind the tub before working on this. Once you have the cartridge out, close the drain stopper, and turn each shutoff on for a couple of seconds. That should blow any debris out of the rough in valve. You close the drain in case any parts that came loose inside the rough in valve will not go down your drain. If this is a moen valve let me know and i can walk you thru how to dissamble and reassemble it. If another manufacturer i am no help since i only use moen at all of my properties.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk
jeffmattero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement