Loose Old (1960's?) Single Handle Shower Handle - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2015, 02:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 20

loose old (1960's?) single handle shower handle

We have a basement shower with an original old single lever handle that is loose and not staying in place.... ie: it will slip down or over and the shower will go alternatively too hot or too cold. It also is tricky to get it to shut off completely... gotta jiggle it a bit into just the right spot. I would like to repair/replace it and am looking for advice as to how to proceed. I've replaced double handle set-ups before but never the single handle type. This looks to be a "ball" and not a cartridge type. I haven't taken off the back plate yet as the screws seem to be stuck and I didn't want to be hasty and break something.... we're still using the shower.

I tried tightening a screw on the bottom of the handle , but it wasn't going anywhere.

Any repair I can do? Or will I need to replace it? IF so, thoughts on the difficulty of finding something that would be able to use the current plumbing set-up? (I realize that to answer the last you may need me to get that back plate off... just let me know)

Thank you for any advice!
KerryOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2015, 02:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 20

Posted pictures

Couldn't figure out how to post picture on this forum but fo have some posted on another forum at the plumbingforums[dot]com/forum/showthread.php?t=7632
KerryOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2015, 09:28 AM   #3
Special User

Rewards Points: 1,230

I don't know the answer to your question, except to say that a 60s valve probably isn't pressure-balanced (to protect against scalding when someone flushes a toilet or otherwise uses cold water elsewhere in the house) and should probably be replaced with a modern valve at this point anyway.

Oh, and here's a clicky link to the pictures: http://www.plumbingforums.com/forum/...ead.php?t=7632
Advertisement

Tags
mixer , shower handle , single handle , single-lever