Looking For Break In Buried 4" Drain Pipe... Can I Drill Hole In Top Of Pipe? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2016, 10:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 554

Looking for break in buried 4" drain pipe... can i drill hole in top of pipe?

4" thinwall drain pipe from a septic tank. I was installing inspection ports on it by using saddle tee's, and i think i have found a problem between two of the ports. Water drains partway, but it acts real funny and i can only get a hose through it in one direction (it's less than a 50 ft section).

Ideally i could use a camera in it to find out what's going on, but i dont have one and dont really want to rent one.

It's buried about 1.5 feet deep, and i dont want to dig the whole thing up trying to find where the break is... what would work best would be if i could drill a small hole (say 1/2" or something) in the top of the pipe and then look to see if i could see the hose in it... then narrow it down until i find the problem area.

Is this a dumb idea, or could i do it and use some type of sealant (foam/silicone/tape/combination) to fill in the hole? It's just a drain line, so no water would be coming out the top, but i would want it sealed to keep roots from entering. This is basically the same idea as using a saddle tee, except i dont want to drill 5 or 6 holes and have to buy 5 or 6 saddle tees... i just want to drill a small hole, inspect the pipe, and then reseal it.

Last edited by tireshark; 03-25-2016 at 10:59 PM.
tireshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2016, 10:19 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,034

Re: Looking for break in buried 4" drain pipe... can i drill hole in top of pipe?

Ayuh,...... 'tween this thread, 'n yer other thread,....

I, personally, don't think you belong anywhere near any sorta plumbin',.....
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2016, 10:19 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 31,578

Re: Looking for break in buried 4" drain pipe... can i drill hole in top of pipe?

Why not just measure how far in the hose went and then measure on the pipe. Or mark the hose how far in it went, then pull it out and lay on the ground to see the spot.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2016, 10:58 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,844

Just an idea would it not be easier to just mark the hose and pull it out and measure to the mark? That way your not messing your pipe up.
Ghostmaker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-26-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement