Locating Water Line Feeding Camp By A Lake - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2016, 01:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Locating water line feeding camp by a lake

Ok so here goes.....trying to find the water line to our camp which is fed by the lake water. After many attempts looking in the water and moving rocks etc no luck. I even tried to apply pressure inside the camp out to the lake to see "bubbles" and find the end of the line. Not possible as there is a check valve......there has to be something or someone who'd could help ....I'm at the "end of the line" myself ;-))
Little slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2016, 03:23 PM   #2
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,790

Re: Locating water line feeding camp by a lake

Lake water intake lines seem often to be only limited by the installers imagination. If the bottom is stoney and clear of silt I have seen the intake buried in a small 'cairn' of stones, I suppose to protect it and act as a bit of a filter. In siltier conditions I have seen wooden or steel frames to keep the intake off the bottom (but will assume you would have found that). About the only thing I can offer is to find out where the line enters the water then follow it out foot by foot, It may surprise you how far out it goes.
You don't mention if you are trying to solve a problem or simply wanting to know more about your property. You also might want to check with any neighbours you have to see if there was a common 'local' way to do these things that might be helpful
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2016, 07:18 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 31,670

Is the line metal or plastic? Start at the house and trace the line to at least see where it enters the lake.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2016, 06:23 PM   #4

Gents great response, lean itch I am trying to eliminate the use of filters every few days......the silt in the intake clogs the filter rapidly. Bringing it up off the "bottom" would be ideal as the other camps have done.

JOED, it is black plastic 1" in size......I've followed where it leaves the camp and went straight to the water edge......didn't find anything.

Thanks for the information, I'll keep looking.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:24 PM   #5

Nobody locally has been able to assist, we all just look into the lake and scratch our heads......it's funny!
Old 06-21-2016, 07:19 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 31,670

If you have a metal detector you can fish a wire down the inside of the pipe and trace it.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:35 PM   #7
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,790

If you water is clear then the intake is most certainly buried if you are picking up a lot of silt. I have heard of an old school of thought that a sand lake bottom was used as a natural filter. Perhaps the lake bottom used to more sandy but silted over time - or the original owners weren't all that particular.

I don't know enough about metal detectors to know if they would be powerful enough to pick up a wire in ABS under water and covered with an unknown layer of overburden. Depending on how much time and effort you are willing to commit to it (I know, sometimes you just hate to be beaten), you might be farther ahead to re-lay a new intake line and splice it into the existing where you can first get at it. Either way, depending factors like depth, lake bottom, etc., you'll want to make sure your intake is not sucking silt. If you have high lake turbidity you're probably stuck with filters anyway.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 08:53 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,214

Just a thought, but backflow devices are not super high tech and in your case only deal with the pressure of water above the lake, not a lot. If you apply pressure and wait long enough it might push the water back through the valve and create a small bubble flow. Under dead calm conditions that might be visible.

Also, that check valve doesn't need to be way out in the lake. look to see if it is close by.

Also, how much pressure were you applying to that pipe and how deep is the lake where you suspect the pipe ends?

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement