Leaky Toilet ? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2015, 11:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Leaky toilet ?

I have a toilet that is used maybe once a month in extra b. Room. It sits on a concrete floor. Maybe once every 6 months I'll find a large pool of water on the floor. Nothing leaking from the ceiling I have to assume it's the toilet. Before the pool of water I had noticed that the grout looked damp where the wall meets the floor. After mopping up I noticed a drop of water oozing from the bottom of the toilet. I shut the water off to the toilet and the grout looks like it dried up and no more water at the base. The levels in the toilet haven't changed. I would like to know if you think the ring is not sealing. When the water was on, every know and then I would hear the toilet run for a few seconds.
wolfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2015, 12:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,114

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfus View Post
I have a toilet that is used maybe once a month in extra b. Room. It sits on a concrete floor. Maybe once every 6 months I'll find a large pool of water on the floor. Nothing leaking from the ceiling I have to assume it's the toilet. Before the pool of water I had noticed that the grout looked damp where the wall meets the floor. After mopping up I noticed a drop of water oozing from the bottom of the toilet. I shut the water off to the toilet and the grout looks like it dried up and no more water at the base. The levels in the toilet haven't changed. I would like to know if you think the ring is not sealing. When the water was on, every know and then I would hear the toilet run for a few seconds.
The wax ring not sealing would not cause the toilet to refill the tank every now and then. Periodic refilling of the tank has to be a leak from the tank or water going down the overflow tube.

There are only 3 ways water can leak out of a tank.
  1. At the fill valve where the water from the house connects to the bottom of the tank.
  2. The flush valve leaking into the bowl but this would not wet the floor.
  3. A hairline crack in the tank.
Water can go down the overflow tube and cause periodic refilling of the tank by 2 ways:
  • The tube that shoots water into the overflow tube is sticking down below the water level in the tank causing a siphon effect.
  • A faulty fill valve.
But none of these overflow tube ways would result in water on the floor.

Only ways 1 and 3 above would result in water on the floor and periodic refilling of the tank as far as I can see.

HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2015, 01:26 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfus View Post
What's the common every day Relative Humidity in that room?
Where are you?
Do you heat with propane?
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2015, 03:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,932

Condensation from cold running water will cause your water leak. You may have 2 problems but the first I'm sure about. turn the toilet water on add food dye into the tank. None should reach the bowel. If it does your flush valve is leaking.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:44 PM   #5

Bud Cline. The humidity is low and I use oil heat. Am in NJ
Old 02-04-2015, 03:48 PM   #6

Ghostmaker. No one uses toilet so there is no condensation. Humidity and temp are low. Have never saw condensation and the water on he floor was too much for that. I'd say about 10 oz puddle. I go in that room twice a day to feed cats.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:07 PM   #7

Homerepairguy. If the flapper isn't holding the water in the tank 100% couldn't that be the reason the fill valve comes on for about 8 to 10 seconds. If that's the case is there any chance the water that is leaking somehow find its way to the base of the toilet and onto the floor. Would a bad seal be the culprit.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:36 PM   #8
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

Cats???
Are the cats allowed or encouraged to drink from the toilet?
Old 02-04-2015, 04:40 PM   #9

Bud Cline. Seat has stuff on it. Besides my spoiled kids get nice cold water in the other room.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:41 PM   #10
Plumber

Rewards Points: 248

Do the dye test to check the flapper or just buy a new one. That should eliminate the random flushes.

It could be that your wax seal is gone as well. Is your toilet flange secure to the floor?
The toilet doesn't rock or wriggle?

Also inspect for water between the tank and bowl- use a flashlight.
If there is a slight leak there, this will cause water drop in the tank and lead to flushing. It will also put water on the floor
Old 02-04-2015, 06:52 PM   #11

TheEplumber. I'll ck between the tank and bowl. There is no rocking. I don't know about the flange as I never removed the toilet. I will check all that you recommend. Also remember I did see a drop of water ooze out of the caulking in the front of toilet where it meets the floor. Thanks and I'll get back tomorrow.
The Following User Says Thank You to wolfus For This Useful Post:
TheEplumber (02-04-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement