Leaking Faucet: Single Handle Shower Head - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2015, 10:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 34

Leaking Faucet: Single Handle Shower Head

Hello!
Our bathtub has been leaking for YEARS but has recently gotten worse. It was a slow drip and I could turn the faucet handle one way and it would slow it down. Now that doesn't even work. I also hear what sounds like air consistently and I could turn the handle and it would stop. Now it doesn't stop.
It leaks from the faucet spout itself but we think it is because of the single handle faucet handle and its innards.
It is a Delta faucet which was likely installed when the home was built in 1987. I've read that Delta uses universal parts, but is that the case for this older model?
Can anyone provide me guidance in what we may need to do? I see many replacements for faucet trim, but not with the diverter (I think that's what that little push button is under the handle is called) like ours has.
We'd prefer to not call in a plumber. I poked around the net and it seems rather simple, except I am not sure if we need a new valve, or just the seats, washers, springs, or maybe cartridge.
Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Leaking Faucet: Single Handle Shower Head-faucet1.jpg   Leaking Faucet: Single Handle Shower Head-faucet2.jpg  

Last edited by chicy724; 02-11-2015 at 10:46 PM.
chicy724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2015, 07:04 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,566

Your assessment of " just the seats, washers, springs, or maybe cartridge " is correct most of the time.

If you are missing the Mod. No. etc., you may need to call Delta and describe this control to get the correct rebuild parts unless someone on the forum can provide that information.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2015, 08:05 AM   #3

Is there usually a model number somewhere on the handle/trim?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2015, 08:21 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,566

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicy724 View Post
Is there usually a model number somewhere on the handle/trim?
Usually never.

If the paper work, that came with it when new, is missing we're usually out of luck for Mod. numbers.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:33 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,952

Replace the stem ball to it won't hurt do a full rebuild.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:53 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 582

that is a delta 636 faucet....you can goggle it....
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:06 PM   #7

Thanks everyone. I'm officially intimidated. I don't know what parts I need. I emailed Delta. Is it easier/cheaper to just start with a new model? I googled parts and am getting a mix of faucet and shower parts. And some say "for prior to 3/2006" but is an expensive cartridge and parts kit..
Old 02-17-2015, 07:21 PM   #8

Delta hasn't really helped much. It seems like my request got lost so I just resubmitted with photos.
Does anyone else have any guidance? Is it 100% the Delta 636 model? If so, I wasn't able to find specific parts online; it was very, very confusing. It seems Delta 636 model has many variations.
I went to Home Depot and they guy was zero help without having the actual faucet in hand. It is still in my wall..
Thank you..
Old 02-17-2015, 07:37 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 582

what you need 1- rp4993 seat and springs.
1- rp212 ball assy.

shut off water remove handle assy ..remove big nut ..watch how it come apart...replace seats & springs replace ball put all other parts back turn on water to check for leaks... by the way these parts work on models 602,606,612,622,636,642..
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
chicy724 (02-17-2015), SHR Plumber (02-27-2015), TheEplumber (02-25-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 10:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
what you need 1- rp4993 seat and springs.
1- rp212 ball assy.

shut off water remove handle assy ..remove big nut ..watch how it come apart...replace seats & springs replace ball put all other parts back turn on water to check for leaks... by the way these parts work on models 602,606,612,622,636,642..
Thanks so much! Delta finally got back with me after my second attempt. They told me it was indeed a 600 series but didn't specify the actual model number, and that it could be one of two sets of springs and I had to take it apart to tell.

RP77737 - Seems to have both types of springs that the rep said I would need one or the other of. Looks like I can get this set at Home Depot, to be safe.. it has both types of springs.
RP4993 - What the rep said the majority of their faucets have.
RP212 - The ball assembly.

Last edited by chicy724; 02-18-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:15 PM   #11

So... Yes right parts.
But, bad stuff happened when we tried to replace them. The cap behind the shower handle wouldn't come off. Hubby wound up twisting the pipes coming from the wall trying to get it off. Had no water for that night or morning.
Had to call our "guy" and he was able to get here the following day and was able to sweat new pipes onto the existing valve in the wall.
All better.

New issue.. the tub will not hold water permanently. It slooooooooowly drains out. And the shower still squeals something crazy most times you turn it on. Tried a new shower head and no-go. New post.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:42 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 3,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicy724 View Post
So... Yes right parts.
But, bad stuff happened when we tried to replace them. The cap behind the shower handle wouldn't come off. Hubby wound up twisting the pipes coming from the wall trying to get it off. Had no water for that night or morning.
Had to call our "guy" and he was able to get here the following day and was able to sweat new pipes onto the existing valve in the wall.
All better.

Glad everything is all better. Thanks for the update.

New issue.. the tub will not hold water permanently. It slooooooooowly drains out. And the shower still squeals something crazy most times you turn it on. Tried a new shower head and no-go. New post.
What kind of stopper, plunger style? Sometimes the rubber seal wears out, or something is stuck in it holding it up a little.

Does shower squeal when shower head is removed?
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:57 PM   #13

I didn't try it yet without a shower head. I considered it but didn't want to create a mess just yet
The stopper is internal, I assume. There is just a cover with holes in the top. To stop water from draining, I flip the toggle on the tub up and it works for the most part. But it drains super slow.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:04 PM   #14

To note: There is no diverter on the tub spout, which I am used to. My other tub has that. The diverter that turns the shower on and off is on the panel mid-shower under the temperature, on/off handle. The thing that makes the tub drain/not drain is on the tub. My other tub does not have this.
Would a photo help? I don't know the proper terms for these parts...
Old 02-26-2015, 08:57 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 3,490

Yes some pictures would help when you get a chance. Thanks.

Just place a rubber stopper over the drain as well until you're ready to replace it. Sounds like the rubber seal is worn or may just need removing and given a good cleaning. Could be some kind of buildup.

If shower still makes squealing noise with the shower head removed, then the problem is in the valve/water pressure (You stated there is no diverter). Cartridge may just need a good cleaning to remove any sediment or replacement. Easy fix.

If no squealing with shower head removed, then check shower head for a water restrictor and remove it or try a different shower head. Most new ones have them and they can restrict the flow of water and cause the squealing. Just a suggestion.

Others will be along with more advice/suggestions.

Last edited by jmon; 02-26-2015 at 09:07 AM.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement