Laundry Sink/Washer Connection - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2017, 02:47 PM   #1
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,096

Laundry Sink/Washer Connection

Attached is a photo of under our laundry sink. It's tight and hard to get full perspective, but the connections for the washing machine stub out towards the camera; roughly 6" for the left hot and 4" for the cold (hidden behind the drain). As you can see, the hot supply is very tight to the drain. I had to disconnect the washer a few weeks ago and the valves leaked as they often do, so I've been thinking of cleaning the whole thing up a bit.

One problem is the sink is hard-piped right up to the faucets. I'm not exactly sure how they even did this without using midgets with torches. As well, the floor is tiled around the cabinet, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to move it until I disconnect the copper. . Whichever way I go, I would like to connect the sink faucet with braided lines.

In addition to looking for opinions, I have a few specific questions:
- are threaded valves required/advisable for washer connection or will 1/4-turn be sufficient. I'm thinking of being able to balance wash temperature.
- I've not used Sharkbite before but would adding a 45* as the supplies emerge from the base help to open things up a bit? I'm thinking Sharkbite because it may be difficult to get in there with a torch.
- I can access the supply lines below in the basement. Is it required/advisable to have the shut-offs in the room? It is necessary to have separate shut-offs for both the sink and washer?

I'm an 'ok' plumber, so any and all thoughts appreciated. Tnx.
Attached Thumbnails
Laundry Sink/Washer Connection-img_0967.jpg  
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2017, 02:54 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 13,446

Re: Laundry Sink/Washer Connection

I'm not a plumber either, but I like the 1/4 ball valve better. They seem to work and hold up longer.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2017, 04:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,948

In theory when one is not washing clothes you are supposed to turn the water off. This makes it less likely the hoses will rupture and flood your house.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2017, 04:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 18,988

Loose all those old gate valves and replace with 1/4 turn stops.
No way in a million years is someone going to be turning the water on and off every time they use the washing machine.
Really want to do this right would be a whole lot more work. Drain line at that sink is to low, water lines to the washer should have been run to a real washer box behind the wall.
Why would you want to try and regulate the temp. of the water to the washer with a stop valve?
Just not going to happen, all it will do is slow down the fill time.
Have not used hot water at any of my washers for at least 10 years, most modern detergents do not even need hot water.
Trust me my clothes get really dirty, oil, gas Ect. and they always come out clean.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:13 PM   #5
Plumber

Rewards Points: 276

Quote:
- are threaded valves required/advisable for washer connection or will 1/4-turn be sufficient. I'm thinking of being able to balance wash temperature.
1/4 turn valves are fine. You can sweat hose adapters on to them to connect to the washer.
Quote:
- I've not used Sharkbite before but would adding a 45* as the supplies emerge from the base help to open things up a bit? I'm thinking Sharkbite because it may be difficult to get in there with a torch.
I don't know if they make SB 45's but the do 'wobble' somewhat after assembly. They are not rigid like solder joints are.
Quote:
- I can access the supply lines below in the basement. Is it required/advisable to have the shut-offs in the room? It is necessary to have separate shut-offs for both the sink and washer?
Every fixture needs shut offs. Either at a manifold or at the valve- or so I was taught. Tub/showers are the exception.

Would this work for a layout?
Since you have access below, move the lines to the right sidewall between the tailpiece and cabinet, Then tee out the sidewall with valves for the washer. You could use 1/4 turn sill cocks
Off the top of the tee inside the cabinet, install angle stops and point them towards the faucet and connect new 30" sink supply flex lines to the stops.
This was just late night brain storming..... but it's a possibility
Old 02-15-2017, 06:26 PM   #6
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,096

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post

Would this work for a layout? . . .
I haven't got the clearance to go out the side of the cabinet, but I can take your suggestions and modify them somewhat. Thanks also for the input on Sharkbite fittings.

Thanks to all for your input. I realize it's a poor design but the truth is it works, but I thought if I'm going to change the shut-offs I might as well 'pretty it up' as best as I can without turning it into a major reno.

'JoeCaption' (sorry, I've yet to figure out how to post multiple quotes), You're right. The vast majority of our laundry is done cold. The odd time we wanted to do 'warm' I found it barely off cold in most house we've had, but it's not a big issue.

Other than apartments and condos, washer boxes are not very common up here - I've actually never seen one in a detached dwelling (not that I haunt people's laundry rooms).

Cheers all.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:16 PM   #7
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 8,202

The flush mount wash boxes are a nice feature when doing new construction, or you have the wall opened up, but you could also run a new a hot and cold straight up from the floor next to the wall. Keep your 1/4 turn stops just below the top of the washer, so nothing is visible.

or could do something like this

Last edited by Yodaman; 02-15-2017 at 07:23 PM.
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yodaman For This Useful Post:
lenaitch (02-16-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement