Laundry Sink Pump Replace & Gurgle Fix - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2016, 09:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Laundry Sink Pump Replace & Gurgle Fix

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips or at least tell me what they think of my plan.

At my house we have a laundry sink pump in the basement since the sink is lower than the drain pipe. The drain pipe that feeds into, comes almost right off of the kitchen sink.

Basically every time the laundry sink pump finishes pumping, the kitchen sink gurgles pretty loud.

Now the pump went bad and needs to be replaced, since I'm already there.. I thought I could maybe fix the gurgle as well.

So my questions are:

1. What pump would you recommend? I was going to get the "Zoeller 105-0001 Laundry Pump Package"

2. What do you think of me installing the pump with a check valve coming out of it, then installing a check valve on the drain pipe at some point after the kitchen sink, but before the point that the laundry sink pump connects. (the person who installed the laundry sink pump, put the pipe coming from it directly into the drain pipe at a 90 degree angle instead of a 45).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by willmatei; 08-24-2016 at 09:40 AM.
willmatei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2016, 04:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,866

Re: Laundry Sink Pump Replace & Gurgle Fix

The laundry pump need to tie into a 3 inch or larger pipe. Apparently your kitchen has no vent that is why you get the fun gurgling.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2016, 06:32 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 18

Re: Laundry Sink Pump Replace & Gurgle Fix

I am not a plumber but I would be cautious about installing a check valve on the kitchen sink drain line. It might make snaking that line very difficult.

I have a similar setup. My washer drains into a laundry tub which then drains into a sump pit. From there a sump pump pumps it up anout 5 feet and it ties into the main drain (comes in on a 45 degree angle). My check valve for the pump is very close to where the pipe from the pump exits the pit. If i am in the kitchen and the pump goes on, i can hear the water, but no gurgling. Are you sure that you are hearing gurgling? Maybe the real plumbers can suggest something, but what about a "cheater vent" which you install under the sink and it takes air from the cabinet space to vent the plumbing.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk
jeffmattero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement