Kohler Single Handle Faucet Running Slow - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JIMMIEM
  • 1 Post By Pat the Rat

Old 07-07-2017, 08:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 104

Kohler single handle faucet running slow

After redoing our kitchen with new countertops, I re-installed our Kohler single-handle faucet and now the water pressure coming out of it is very slow. Not a lot of water pressure. All the other faucets in the house work fine. I had replaced the valve, thinking that was the culprit and was only $10 or so on Amazon, but that didn't help. I know it's not the spray head because it's the same pressure even if I unscrew it and run the water. Takes the same number of seconds to fill a cup. I'm thinking the problem must be lower in the hoses or the valves now. I had replaced the hot/cold water shutoff valves with the quarter turn ball valves when I redid the plumbing under there. I'm wondering if that's the problem since the water pressure is the same slowness for both hot and cold pretty much. Either that or there is some constriction in the hoses but they don't look kinked or anything. I'm kinda dumbfounded as to why it's so slow.
Pat the Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2017, 09:38 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 13,314

Re: Kohler single handle faucet running slow

Could just be a slower/lesser flowing cartridge.

Unhook the lines and check the pressure/flow out of the shut off valves. If it is consistent with other outlets, its the fixture that is restricting the flow.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2017, 09:50 AM   #3

I know it's not the cartridge in the handle because I replaced that and it's exactly the same flow. I'll have to get some hoses to put on the valves to check flow from there. It might just be hard to tell if the flow is the same under the sink. Keep wondering if it's the new ball valves I installed for water shutoff. They looked ok when i operated them prior to installing them though. Just odd that the pressure is the same on both hot and cold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2017, 10:13 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 122

You said you "re-installed" the faucet so I assume this was a faucet that you had prior to installing the counters and you did not have an issue prior to installing the new shut off valves so it sounds to me like it's a restriction in the new shut off valves. Or you have another valve somewhere upstream in the house that you turned off to install the new valves and it's not fully open.

Also sometimes old valves get sediment in the bottom of them, when you close them it breaks away the sediment and the sediment could be lodged in the faucet somewhere, it may just need to be flushed out.
Joeycarnuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:09 PM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 13,314

Missed that part.

Joey is right that if this is the same faucet...something is likely in the valves or they are just that much smaller on the interior dimensions and flow rates.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:58 PM   #6

yes, it's the same faucet with no prior trouble. I replaced the shutoff valves and I'm thinking that must be the culprit, since the flow rate seems to be the same for both hot and cold. Maybe they were just meant for a commode or something. I'll stop and get some new ones today and hopefully install them over the weekend.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:32 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 788

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat the Rat View Post
After redoing our kitchen with new countertops, I re-installed our Kohler single-handle faucet and now the water pressure coming out of it is very slow. Not a lot of water pressure. All the other faucets in the house work fine. I had replaced the valve, thinking that was the culprit and was only $10 or so on Amazon, but that didn't help. I know it's not the spray head because it's the same pressure even if I unscrew it and run the water. Takes the same number of seconds to fill a cup. I'm thinking the problem must be lower in the hoses or the valves now. I had replaced the hot/cold water shutoff valves with the quarter turn ball valves when I redid the plumbing under there. I'm wondering if that's the problem since the water pressure is the same slowness for both hot and cold pretty much. Either that or there is some constriction in the hoses but they don't look kinked or anything. I'm kinda dumbfounded as to why it's so slow.
For future reference, if you call Kohler they will usually send replacement repair parts for free.
Pat the Rat likes this.
JIMMIEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:57 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 18

I would suggest the following, in order:
1 - check all valves that you turned off to do the job and make sure they are fully open.
2- remove the aerator ( if there is one) from the faucet and take it apart and clean it.
3- remove the flex lines from the faucet end, and turn on each ball valve while spraying the water into a bucket. If you have good flow there, it means that the blockage is between that connection and the end of the faucet. If not good flow there, remove the flex lines from the ball valves and turn the ball valves on for a second ( running the water into a bucket if possible).

In all my years of doing plumbing, i never ran into a bad ball valve, so I don't think that is your problem
Were they sweated on? Were they open when being soldered? I guess it is possible to heat the valves so hot that the plastic inside the valve could melt and cause a blockage, but in my experience I have not seen that happen.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk
jeffmattero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:19 PM   #9

What I did was to check the water flow with the sprayer (the whole head) on and with it off. The flow was exactly the same so no restriction in the head. I then assumed the problem was with the cartridge, thinking some dirt got washed into it, but that didn't help either. I'm now assuming the problem is either with the valves or the hoses connecting the valves to the faucet. That's all it could be. There was only one shutoff used when replacing the shutoff valves and that was the main to the whole house. No problems anywhere else in the house after turning it back on, and the valves have compression fittings, not soldered, so that's ruled out as well.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:33 AM   #10

Fixed! Thanks for all the help. I'm not sure, but I may have had the counterweight for the spray head on too tight, restricting water flow last time I installed it. But it took me taking the whole faucet out to the garage and blowing out the lines with my air compressor to be sure they were clear. Not seeing anything wrong I decided to put it back on, hoping that I may have dislodged something (I may have, who knows). After I put it on and checked the waterflow I remembered that I had to put the counterweight back on. That's when it came to me that perhaps it was on too tight before, restricting the flow. I didn't bother to tighten it again to see. Needed to get done. I guess that's another thing for people to check when they have low flow. BTW, after I uninstalled it and turned the water off in the house I opened the 2 shutoff valves and was able to slide a 1/4" allen wrench thru the valve, so I knew there was no restriction there. Glad I waited to buy new ones. The 1/4 turn ball valves are much nicer than the multi-turn valves.
jeffmattero76 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pat the Rat For This Useful Post:
Joeycarnuba (07-10-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement