Kohler Shower Handle That Destroyed My Kitchen Ceiling - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bensplumbing

Old 05-04-2017, 07:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 198
Angry

Kohler shower handle that destroyed my kitchen ceiling

A few days ago my kitchen ceiling buckled after a joist cavity let loose a few gallons of water. I won't bore you with the details of how long it took to figure out the problem, but ultimately it ended up being this:

Kohler shower handle that destroyed my kitchen ceiling-showerhandle.jpg

About 20 months ago I had a new shower put in. I discovered that if the cylinder between the handle and the escutcheon (collar?) is slightly loosened, maybe a 1/8 turn counter-clockwise, a river of water goes down the back of the backerboard, and finds its way to my kitchen ceiling.

I assume a slightly loosened trim piece like the collar shouldn't result in water shooting down my interior walls, is that a valid assumption? Should I bring the original plumber back in and have a conversation with him? Is this something I should bring up to Kohler, or is it an install issue?

From what I've briefly read online it looks like maybe the plumber didn't have enough of the neck to bite onto. Is this something that can get fixed with minimal heartache? I do have access from the rear of the unit if necessary.

Thanks for any insight!
MoreCowbell70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2017, 05:35 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 898

Re: Kohler shower handle that destroyed my kitchen ceiling

Sounds like a bad install. Call your plumber and use his insurance to cover the damage.
BIG Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2017, 06:14 AM   #3
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 8,202

Looks like the trims extend too far from the wall, meaning the valve(s) is too close to the wall. With rear access, the valve(s) could possibly be pulled back in a bit. This will put more of the trim in the escusheon. There is a dimension the mfg recommends for this placement that came with the valve install instructions.

Secondly, premium high end hardware generally has built in O-rings and seals to prevent water leaking behind the walls. Personally, I also, always seal the edges with a small bead of clear silicone. A small bead around the outside of the escutcheon, and a small bead between the trim and hole of the escutcheon. The inner bead would have also likely prevented the trim from backing out.

If you do this your self, when caulking, only go around the top 3/4 of the circle. Or from about 8 o'clock to 4 o'clock on the dial. Leaving a small unsealed area at the bottom allows any water that may get in a route to drain back out.

Good luck and I would most definitely be calling the plumber back.

Last edited by Yodaman; 05-05-2017 at 06:17 AM.
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2017, 05:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 38

After 20 months Kohler probably won't do a thing except tell you it was installed wrong... I would call the original plumber and discuss it with him...again 20 months ...but if he realized he missed the install an has integrity about his business he may work with you to correct the problem.... It's worth a try...good luck. Ben
BlackTiger likes this.
bensplumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:06 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 198

Just an update for anyone that remembers this situation - Kohler finally stepped up and covered all the damage.

MoreCowbell70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:18 PM   #6
retired framer

Rewards Points: 15,596

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreCowbell70 View Post
Just an update for anyone that remembers this situation - Kohler finally stepped up and covered all the damage.

Good for you.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement