Kitchen Sink W/disposal Leaks - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2015, 11:01 AM   #1
UNO

Rewards Points: 4

Kitchen sink w/disposal leaks

Hey everyone,

My kitchen sink leaks. I believe it's because the drain (not sure the correct word) wasn't sealed and centered properly:

You can see it's pushed to the left.

It leaks from here:

There's a piece of cardboard (?) or something there and I think it's where the leak is. I've tried tightening the drain and it hasn't changed a thing. It's definitely not leaking from the disposal itself.

Now do you think I can just take the disposal off, remove the drain and reseal it or do I need a new drain entirely?

And if I can just reseal it, I'll remove it completely, clean it, and put it back in with plumbers putty, right?

Thanks! Sorry for the stupid question.
UNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2015, 11:11 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 28

Probably plywood, not cardboard. That would be crazy. If the drain trim is properly seated and sealed in the basin, and cinched tightly from below, there shouldn't be a leak from the top. If you haven't done so already, you might want to pull the drain completely out of the basin, and then get underneath with a flashlight to inspect what is going on. Perhaps the leak is occurring under the sink?
Hoshwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2015, 11:16 AM   #3
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,790

Yes plumbers putty is supposed to be used to seal these.

It might need centered, but they are usually a little smaller than the available space anyway, because there are so many different types of things that can be used for the drain, that the manufacturer builds in a little slack to accommodate them all.

That "cardboard" is supposed to be a fiber gasket, used to seal the drain.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2015, 11:19 AM   #4
UNO

Yep, it's plywood. I'll confirm when I get it out but I'm sure that's what it is, not cardboard lol. Is that what's supposed to be used? It sounds like a cut corner to me. What should use instead? Or just the plumbers putty?
Old 09-20-2015, 11:31 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 28

Actually, what you might be seeing is the fiber gasket. Would have to look at it more closely. Like the other person said, you use plumbers putty. Make sure it is centered and tight. Tightening drain trim should squish some putty from all around the trim or you have a gap. Run your fingernail around it to test for no gaps.
Hoshwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:09 PM   #6
UNO

When I popped out the throat piece, none of the putty stuck to it so I don't know where it all went right here.

Here's the gasket. I'm positive now that it is actually cardboard. It's definitely not plywood.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:44 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 184

just used fresh plumbers putty, clean off old putty from both flange and sink drain area, roll the putty like a rope, attach it to the bottom side of the garbage disposal flange ( make sure you have 100% coverage ) by massaging it on as it sticks to the drain , install the flange wit a slight twisting motion, but do not seat 100%, leave it a bit high off the drain basin, re-assemble the cam lock screw plate, and then slowly tighten the 3 screws, as you do putty will ooze out, clear it away with a small screw driver, watch the position of the drain, to make sure it's centered in the hole, make sure the flange is seating flush at a uniform rate until it make contact with the drain area and no more putty oozes out. Then re-assemble the disposal and check for leaks.

The fiber washer is not for preventing leaks, it for preventing cracking the drain area when you have a metal lip ( the lower garbage disposal assembly ) against the drain bottom, and to allow some movement in the drain assembly. Do not over tighten the ring, as it can crack the drain area in plastics composite sinks, and porcelain / cast iron sinks ( the porcelain enamel ) over time.

Last edited by intelpcguy; 09-20-2015 at 12:48 PM.
intelpcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to intelpcguy For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-20-2015)
Old 09-20-2015, 12:47 PM   #8
UNO

So I use the putty under the basin instead of a gasket? Does brand matter? Going to Menards.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:56 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 184

no
putty under the stainless steel insinkerator flange, the way they had it before.
you keep and re use the fiber gasket
most putties now a days are non staining.
So as long as the putty is fresh and pliable,
you do not want to apply dry putty.
intelpcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to intelpcguy For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-20-2015)
Old 09-20-2015, 02:12 PM   #10
UNO

I'm just going to replace the whole thing. I already ruined the gasket when I removed it so this is just easiest for me.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:33 PM   #11
JUSTA MEMBER

Roll your putty into a shape similar to a SWIZZLE stick, then use it on the top-side of the basin, between the in-sink-erator flange and the basin. form a ring around the hole centered between the hole and the ridge, that way it will fill the space when compressed.

then install the rest, and tighten the three underneath screws a little at a time by turning #1 a couple of times , then #2 a couple of times, then #3 a couple of times, and back to #1, and so on, until the putty has squeezed out of the gap between the flange and basin. Just not tight enough to squeeze all of it out, but tight enough to hold firmly. Clean any squeeze out up well.

The fiber gasket underneath helps you to tighten evenly, so try to get a replacement from the "BOX" store when you get putty.

ED
Old 09-20-2015, 02:37 PM   #12
UNO

Lmao what is a swizzle stick... The size of a drink straw?
Old 09-20-2015, 02:42 PM   #13
JUSTA MEMBER

Swizzle stick:

the little stir stick/straw in a mixed drink.

ED
Old 09-20-2015, 02:46 PM   #14
UNO

Bahahahaha I've never heard it called that before.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:55 PM   #15
JUSTA MEMBER

Maybe it's a generation gap thing?

But you get the general idea that you do not need a very large diameter roll of putty to squeeze out into the desired seal, but it needs to be entirely ringed, no overlaps, or you will get another leak like the old one shows.

ED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement