Kitchen Sink Plumbing Leak - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jmon

Old 06-25-2017, 04:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 66

Kitchen sink plumbing leak

Hi,

I have a plumbing issue I thought I get some opinions here. I had a clog under the sink which I just cleaned opening a cleanout. There was quite of bit of dirt inside that came out. I used a wire hanger to put out all the dirt that I could. The wire hanger goes all the way in so I am not sure if there is more dirt further down but it seems to be hitting something that I feel maybe a bending of a pipe.
I have had this configuration for the past 4 years. Very seldom I have had water dripping, however, right now water is dripping just beside the cleanout, not from the cleanout. When I open the cleanout about 2 cups of water comes out. I believe that is because I have a slight upward slope or that it is still plugged further down. Again I feel further down the drain pipe should go down because the sink is at the outside edge of the house and I have a raised foundation home.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. I feel even though there is a slight upward slope a sealed pipe should prevent it from dripping but maybe there is a clog that is causing more water to be backup up creating a higher water pressure forcing the water out.
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen sink plumbing leak-under-sink-water-leak.jpg  

Last edited by Al11; 06-25-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Al11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2017, 07:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,436

Re: Kitchen sink plumbing leak

Welcome to the forums A11.

I agree, I think the clog is further down the line. Verify trap and garbage disposal are clear first, then snake the line. Just a suggestion.

Kitchen sink lines are notorious for nasty clogs because of all the grease and garbage that gets dumped down them. Especially when a garbage disposal is used.

Hope you get it unclogged soon A.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2017, 08:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,436

Re: Kitchen sink plumbing leak

After a closer look, due to the upward slope of the pipe & Y, it may just be leaking from the threaded drain side. Those threads look wet. Replace nylon washer, and threaded trap adapter. Make sure its not crossthreaded and recheck. Those washers get worn out after awhile. Cleanout plug threads look dry.

As mentioned, verify trap and disposal are clear.

After those basic checks; If the sink is still slow draining when disposal is not in use, then clog is further down the line and the line will need to be snaked.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmon For This Useful Post:
Al11 (07-03-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement