Kitchen Sink Drain Vent - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-22-2015, 03:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Kitchen Sink Drain Vent

I have a double kitchen sink that is draining slowly. I have checked the drain lines and I have replaced the vent under the sink and I have snaked the vent pipes on the roof.

The reason I believe it is a venting problem is because when both sinks are empty the water drains fine. When I fill one of them up to wash dishes the water starts to back up in the other. I have even removed the vent valve while the water was draining and it did not help.

I recently replaced the facets on the sink and this is when the problem started. The only thing I can say for sure is that more water is dumping into the sink than from the old facets. I was wondering if more water draining at once could cause this.

Any ideas of what to do next.
Tfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2015, 05:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,348

Take a photo of the under sink drains and post it.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2015, 07:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,194

Sounds like a partial blockage somewhere down line. Try removing the trap and snake from there.

As mentioned, please post a pic of the set-up underneath the sink. Thanks.

Sometimes the mods will move a post to the correct forum for better results. Should be posted in the plumbing forum.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2015, 10:39 PM   #4

I will post a picture tomorrow. Have to borrow a digital camera. I have already snaked the drain line. The sinks drain fine when until you fill up one of them.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:58 PM   #5

Rereading your post, there are questions.
What vent can you replace under the sink?
The drain goes into the wall or into the cabinet base. The "vent" is behind the wall. The vent pipe connects to the DWV pipe above the top of the sink in a system properly plumbed.
Vents under the sink is the issue. This isn't plumbed correctly.
Changing the faucet has no effect on the DWV piping.
Looking forward to the photos.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:54 PM   #6
Plumber

Rewards Points: 738

Moved to plumbing- for future reference, please use the report post button (red circle with the exclamation mark) in the left side bar to alert Mods
Tfraser (06-23-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 09:45 AM   #7

Here is the picture of under my sink. I hope it shows enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen Sink Drain Vent-mvc-005f.jpg  
Old 06-23-2015, 10:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfraser View Post
Here is the picture of under my sink. I hope it shows enough.
It shows that the plumbing is incorrect. The vent should be above the top of the sink. Many places do not allow the vent you have there, no matter where it's placed.
This plumbing job was done by someone who probably changed the sink location and couldn't figure out a way to run the piping correctly.
The original vent went through the roof of the house.
To correct this, you'll probably need to open some walls to run the plumbing up through the roof unless you can run it to a correct vent nearby.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:44 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 3,130

Well, if AAVs are allowed where the OP lives (as they are where I do), the setup isn't incorrect except that it could've maybe been placed a bit higher. I'd check to see if the AAV is stuck - being a mechanical device, that's certainly a possibility, and why they are required (where legal) to be accessible.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to md2lgyk For This Useful Post:
jmon (06-23-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 11:46 AM   #10

Not familiar with the acronym AAV.

This is in a mobile home in South Carolina. All the sinks in my house are like this. This is the only one that drains slow.

I saw a youtube video about a vent that I think was called a AMV. If I was to put a vent between the 2 sink would this fix my problem? Again it only drains slow when I put dish water in one of the sinks.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:13 PM   #11

It the photo, is the left hand sink drain sloped to the trap side? If water is trapped in the pipe on the left and the right hand sink is filled with water, that might be the issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
jmon (06-23-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 12:56 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,194

Dont think its your vent. You snaked roof vent and put new aav on and it didnt help.

Verify drain pipe slope is correct, remove trap, snake line from there. Just a suggestion.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:45 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 173

I agree with your diagnosis that it sounds like a venting issue.

AAV = Air Admittance Valve, which is what is at the top of the black pipe in your picture. Its job it to allow airflow (venting) to occur when water is draining, and to seal closed when it is not. Check on yours to make sure it is functioning properly.

Also, you mentioned that you snaked the vent out the roof...looking at your picture with the AAV under the sink, if that was in fact a roof vent that you snaked it probably does not serve the sink, otherwise your sink would not have the AAV. So it is not going to make a difference in this case.
Have you tried removing the trap and snaking the drain line?
MrBryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:15 PM   #14

I have removed the P trap and verified it clear. I have snaked every piece of pipe under that sink to the length of my snake 25ft.. I have also replaced the AVV.

Someone mention sloping of the pipes. Could you please expand on that. I believe the white pipe that connects the 2 sinks is level. Should 1 be higher than the other? Does the sloping of the Ptrap mater?
Old 06-23-2015, 02:22 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 173

Water doesn't run uphill so yes the pipes need to be sloped. 1/4" per foot is rule of thumb.
If you know your pipes are clear presently, slope is not your issue. Looking at your picture it doesn't look like you have negative slope so you are probably OK. Check with a small level and if they are not sloped then that is something you will want to eventually address.
The AAV can be bad out of the box or there could be a piece of crud or some tape on it. Even if it is new, you should still verify that it is working.
MrBryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement