Kitchen Faucet Smells Like Rotten Eggs/Sulfer - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2017, 06:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 106

Kitchen Faucet Smells Like Rotten Eggs/Sulfer

About 2 months ago I installed a new kitchen faucet. Over the past week we have been getting the smell when we first turn the water on.

If the water runs for about 20 seconds, the smell goes away.

We do not have this smell through any other faucet or in the showers.

We have a well and do not have a softner.

The main water lines are pex and I used the braided steel for the supply from the pex to the faucet.

Any ideas what could be the problem?
cjenkins08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2017, 07:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,464

Re: Kitchen Faucet Smells Like Rotten Eggs/Sulfer

I installed a new faucet in the utility sink with a hose/sprayer and that same problem smell lingered in the hose/sprayer only, not water from the faucet, for nearly 2 years. It would finally clear of the odor after about a quart of water was run through it.

I sanitized the well with bleach several times during that period being sure the bleach odor reached the sprayer valve but those measures didn't seem to help. All I can deduce is the odor was in the manufacture of the hose and the smell eventually went away.

Does both the cold and hot have the objectionable odor?

Sometimes the aerator screen develops an odor but that doesn't seem reasonable with yours. I wish I had better info. for you but I don't.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2017, 07:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 76

There are a lot of threads on this. I remember the discussions. Since this is a holiday weekend, some may be away. You may want to check this out -

http://www.diychatroom.com/search.php?searchid=24351226
Nik333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2017, 08:17 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 100

i dont think its your faucet. i think you have poorly vented drain line at the kitchen sink and what you are smelling is the gases from the drain line. you need to have professional plumber to look at it since you listed all new water lines but nothing on how your vent stacks is setup to the kitchen. i am willing to bet its either not installed correctly or missing vent.
radioman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:14 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman99 View Post
i dont think its your faucet. i think you have poorly vented drain line at the kitchen sink and what you are smelling is the gases from the drain line. you need to have professional plumber to look at it since you listed all new water lines but nothing on how your vent stacks is setup to the kitchen. i am willing to bet its either not installed correctly or missing vent.

I let the faucet sit overnight, unused.....when I turned on the hot water, there was no smell....when I switched it to cold water, the smell was there.
This should narrow it down to the pex line going to the faucet or somewhere in the faucet.
Short of replacing the faucet, is there anything else that can be done?
cjenkins08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement