Joining Thin Wall Abs Pipe To Standard Abs Pipe - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2015, 12:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,082

Joining thin wall abs pipe to standard abs pipe

I have a 13 foot high retaining wall made out of stone. The contractor who built the wall used what looks like to me to be thin wall 4 inch ABS pipes for water drainage through the wall.

I want to connect a standard thick wall 4" ABS pipe to one of the thin wall 4" ABS pipe for drainage of our rain gutters. The top of the particular thin wall 4" pipe through the wall that I want to use is about 14 inches below ground level so is not a crucial pipe for water drainage through the 13 foot high wall.

How should I connect the thin wall ABS pipe to thick wall ABS pipe using a 45 degree elbow? (I need to use an elbow since the pipe through the wall is right at the inside corner of the retaining wall.) When I measure the ID of the thin wall ABS pipe, it appears to be 4" so I assume that the OD of that thin wall pipe will not fit snugly into a standard 4 inch 45 degree elbow.

Is there a 45 degree elbow for thin wall 4" ABS pipe that I can use on the existing pipe through the wall? Then I'll have more room to convert the thin wall to thick wall ABS pipe. Will I have to go to a plumbing specialty store to find a 45 degree elbow for thin wall 4" pipe or do standard hardware stores usually carry 45 degree elbows for thin wall 4" ABS pipe?

I'll be leaving for the hardware store in about an hour so any replies during that time will be appreciated. Just trying to gather info before I leave. I'll make a post just when I leave the house.

Thanks,
HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2015, 01:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,512

I've never worked with abs so please use this information at your own risk. It's common for pipe OD to remain constant as pipe schedules vary ( wall thickness changes ) . Possibly a FERNCO coupling would work for you.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2015, 07:19 PM   #3
Plumber

Rewards Points: 734

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
I've never worked with abs so please use this information at your own risk. It's common for pipe OD to remain constant as pipe schedules vary ( wall thickness changes ) . Possibly a FERNCO coupling would work for you.
This is is true for sch 40 and 80, but when dealing with thin wall sewer pipe it's not the case. The OD's will change. I haven't used a thin wall ABS drainage pipe but have used PVC 3034 a lot. We transitioned with a standard 4" fernco or a 3034 x sch 40 adapter
SeniorSitizen (03-01-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2015, 11:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,082

SeniorSitizen and TheEplumber,

Thanks for your responses.

I went to the hardware store and they carried fittings for thin wall 4" PVC pipes. Here's what I came up with:

Thin wall 45 degree elbow for thin wall 4" pipe. The thin wall 4" pipe fits inside of one end of the elbow. The OD of the elbow is 4.5" so the other side of the elbow fits inside of a standard ABS coupler. Then I'm able to connect up with the standard 4" ABS pipes from my rain gutter.

The layout looks like this:

Thin wall 4" pipe (OD=4-1/8") >
Thin wall 45 degree elbow (ID=4-1/8") - Other side of elbow (OD=4.5") >
Std ABS coupler (ID=4.5")

Bought transition cement that is made to glue PVC to ABS.

Looks like everything will work out fine.

Thanks,
HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homerepairguy For This Useful Post:
SeniorSitizen (03-02-2015), TheEplumber (03-02-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement