Investigating Previously Abandoned Well Production? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2015, 06:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 269

Investigating Previously Abandoned Well Production?

Hello,

What is involved with re-evaluating a previously abandoned well (for unknown reasons) and is it even worth the trouble?

I bought a home with three wells on the 12-acre property. The well that we are using now was drilled in 2011 and produces 4.5 GPM, which suits our needs fine. However, I will need to replace about 500 feet of wiring (long miserable story) and might as well replace the plumbing while I am at it. The two other wells are much closer to the home and would not be hard to connect to while I have the backhoe. Even placing a well pump in one of the wells and connecting a battery power source when emergency use is required might be a consideration. For what it is worth, neighbors on either side of me are getting up to 10 GPM.

So, any suggestions?

Peace,
Dr. Z.
Zeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2015, 06:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,952

I can't think of any good reason why someone would abandon a well unless they were having a problem with it.

I'm surprised it wasn't properly sealed.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2015, 07:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
I can't think of any good reason why someone would abandon a well unless they were having a problem with it. I'm surprised it wasn't properly sealed.
I would normally agree, but the previous family was very large and I wonder if the production couldn't keep up with their needs. If so, even 1 GPM is a good emergency source of water.

As for the history of the wells, I suspect that the first well was drilled as the subdivision was born pre-1995. Whether the previous family was able to use it or not is unclear when the home was built in 1999. Somewhere along the line the second well was drilled and a storage tank buried next to it. By the time I bought the place just two years ago, that tank was a giant science project and not worth saving. Neither of the older wells have a cap on them that states anything other than the drilling company logo.

Peace,
Dr. Z.
Zeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2015, 07:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeigh View Post
I would normally agree, but the previous family was very large and I wonder if the production couldn't keep up with their needs. If so, even 1 GPM is a good emergency source of water.

As for the history of the wells, I suspect that the first well was drilled as the subdivision was born pre-1995. Whether the previous family was able to use it or not is unclear when the home was built in 1999. Somewhere along the line the second well was drilled and a storage tank buried next to it. By the time I bought the place just two years ago, that tank was a giant science project and not worth saving. Neither of the older wells have a cap on them that states anything other than the drilling company logo.

Peace,
Dr. Z.
Maybe the drilling company is still around and has a record of why one of the wells was abandoned.
Tom738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:55 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

along time ago when I sold real estate, if I recall correctly, the VA required a well produce at least 5 gpm. If it produced less, it was considered inadequate and was a cause for the sale to fail.

water production is based on 2 things: water availability; ability to pump the water.

So, you need to figure out what your pump capacity is. That may be your problem (I would hope so). The other is whether your well is capable of replenishing fast enough to be able to provide the amount of water needed. That is much more difficult to remedy.

You might speak to some local well drillers. They often know the status of aquifers in the area they work. They may even be familiar with your well and can give you some info on it.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:51 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 12

Check online with your DNR. They will have records of all wells drilled in your state. Your well log will include all the information such as depth, type of rock, gpm, and initial lab results.., etc
Neosastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement