Installing Water Softener W/ Big Blue Filter - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2015, 09:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 26
Question

Installing Water Softener w/ Big Blue Filter

I'm installing a water softener with a big blue water filter. I will be connecting the system to copper piping.

I'm wording specifics on fittings and layout. Although the Softener has a bypass, I'm going to make a ball-valve bypass configuration as shown in the diagram below. Should both the Big Blue Filter and the softener be inside the same bypass, or should I create a separate bypass for the BB filter? I'd rather not do the second because the cost of ball valves.

In regards to the fittings, how should the BB filter be attached? I've been thinking of using 3/4" MPT copper fittings, using 3/4" CXC unions, or 3/4" compression fittings. I'd prefer one of the first two or another suggestion.

In the first option, I'm not sure the order of installation. Would I need to attach the MPT to the BB prior to sweating? If so, how do I keep it from melting the BB plastic cap? In the second configuration, I've heard a lot of people complaining about unions leaking. Is there a good place to buy decent unions locally?

Thanks for the help.
jwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2015, 05:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 247

I have almost the exact same setup as the first system in the attached picture. I thought about doing a separate bypass for the softener and the filter, but it was way overkill. It takes me all of 5 minutes to change out the filter, there is just no need for a separate bypass. As for the MPT fittings for the big blue, you sweat the threaded adapter onto the copper pipe first (at least 12 inches or so long), screw the solder fitting into the filter body with plenty of teflon tape or thread dope, and then you can solder the other end of the pipe without overheating the plastic. A wet rag wrapped around the pipe right by the filter body will be extra insurance.
chemman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2015, 10:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Sweat a union on one or both sides of the filter piping. Then you can hook everything up without having to sweat close to the plastic.
Attached Images

dannyoung85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2017, 08:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4

Re: Installing Water Softener w/ Big Blue Filter

what are the options if you were a bit too close and melted the threads? some dummy (me) did that today.. I am guessing my only option is to buy a new single filter and replace the top that i screwed up. any alternate thoughts?
mike_littlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:40 AM   #5
Peace be with you

Rewards Points: 1,860

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_littlerock View Post
what are the options if you were a bit too close and melted the threads? some dummy (me) did that today.. I am guessing my only option is to buy a new single filter and replace the top that i screwed up. any alternate thoughts?
you get to buy 2nd filter assembly but thinking positively - you will have a replacement O-ring seal (you will eventually need it) and another housing you can rotate into service; this will allow you to clean dirty housing at your leisure & once you have water flow back....

Peace
DR P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:22 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR P View Post
you get to buy 2nd filter assembly but thinking positively - you will have a replacement O-ring seal (you will eventually need it) and another housing you can rotate into service; this will allow you to clean dirty housing at your leisure & once you have water flow back....

Peace
well. i love that you added a silver lining to this.. thanks for the help
mike_littlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:12 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 6,100

They have the plastic pipe fittings and SharkBites to ease the installation without soldering.
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement