Installing Washing Machine And Sink - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2017, 02:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 166

installing washing machine and sink

I am planning on moving my laundry area from the second floor to my basement.
The area I'm going to use is right next to the wall that has all the plumbing for the three bathrooms in the house. One the other side of the wall is a little-used bathroom with a toilet, shower, and sink.

When I opened up the wall I found a pipe that is either an unused drain or the vent for the shower on the other side of the wall. How can I tell? I'm tempted to just run a hose into the clean-out, turn on the water, and see what happens with the shower.
I'd really like to be able to use this as a drain for the washing machine. There is another drain right next to it for the sink on the other side of the wall, but I'm guessing I can't start adding a washing machine, and maybe a utility sink to that drain.
I do not want to break up the concrete and cut into the cast-iron main sewer to add a drain. If that is the only option then I'll just install a grey-water system for the laundry.
I've attached a picture for reference. The drain/vent is copper pipe with an abs clean-out that's been inserted into it.
Also, when I opened up the wall I saw that the cast-iron main drain from the upstairs has a slight kink in it at one of the joints. It looks like it got knocked sideways or something. I've never had a problem with the drains. Do I need to worry about this?
dftc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2017, 06:31 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,054

Re: installing washing machine and sink

An issue with newer washing machines is they dump water very fast. A lot of times the older 1 1/2" drain pipes can't handle the flow and will back up. A 2" drain pipe to the vent stack/hub is needed to be sure to handle the flow. Of course, the vent stack/hub needs to be at least 2" for it to work. It looks like you're stuck with grey water, if that's legal in your area, or putting a hub in the cast iron vent stack. Be advised that they can be very heavy. If you're going to cut into it, you need to strap it very securely. When I use Ferncos on cast iron or copper, I use some pipe dope or urethane roof adhesive (PL S30) on them.
clarenceboddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement