Installing Sump Pump - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2017, 11:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 224

Installing Sump Pump

My house was built in 1954. I am trying to get it ready to sell. Last year we ripped out the paneling and bathroom. This year my plan is to start drywall and refinish the bathroom. We always had water issues in the unfinished section and bathroom with the back wall (yard side). The area outside was excavated and I put in a french drain, rain the drainage pipe from the french drain and gutter under the concrete walkway to an emitter in the yard. Issue was resolved until we get constant heavy rain.... SO next plan is sump pump in the basement. The entire basement has a channel around the perimeter of the basement I would assume it was for water to collect if any. The channel only fills up in this section with water and eventually overflows and runs into the bathroom that I want to refinish. of course my basement has two floor drains and they are by the dry areas.

I am looking at putting the sump in the unfinished side, close to the bathroom studs because that is where the water is usually the deepest and collects. in this area is where the sewage drain goes down into the ground. So where i would like to put it not sure if the sewage drain runs straight underground or not.There are two main sewage drains against this wall on on each side of the basement (wet side and dry side). Thoughts? I am going to have to go a few feet down, how far down do the sewage drains usually go before the run out toward the street? I read they are a lot deeper?

Instead of button the entire back wall foundation I was wondering if it would make sense to try to chisel out more of the perimeter drain for a better slope so it drains toward the sump better and stays in this channel?

For the drainage, its again city code to go into the sewage drain and I would assume same for the floor drain. So will have to go through the wall through brick and then have to route under this sidewalk again??!?

I am pretty handy just want to make sure there isn't something I am not thinking of busting out the floor in the basement makes me a little nervous.
ryanb4614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2017, 12:40 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 15,490

Re: Installing Sump Pump

The sewer could be lower but expect it to be just lower than the footing so in the first 8 to 12 inches from the top of the floor. Newer houses have floor drains hooked to sewer but they also have a valve that dribbles water into the trap. Older houses had drains that just went somewhere else.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement