Identifying/Fixing Strange Bathtub Drain - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2015, 12:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Identifying/Fixing strange bathtub drain

Hi all!

I'm hoping someone can help me here. I have a strange bathtub drain that I have not been able to identify. I need to replace the rubber ring that went around the middle of the stopper, but I can't figure out how to disassemble it or in any other way get it where I could replace the ring. I've tried to look it up online, but I couldn't find this type in any search I did, and I can't see the manufacturer name stamped anywhere I can get at.

The stopper lays flat in the closed position, but flips around the middle if you push down on one edge. The rubber ring that went in the big middle groove disintegrated, and I haven't been able to figure out how to replace the part.

I'd love any help here, as in what the technical name for this type of drain is, or in how to get it apart so I can replace the ring.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Identifying/Fixing strange bathtub drain-img_3809-copy.jpg  
jwkitson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2015, 09:17 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,962

If it was mine I would remove what there now and just replace the whole thing.
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2015, 03:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,414

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
If it was mine I would remove what there now and just replace the whole thing.
This (replacing the drain) is probably the best bet, especially if the region below the tub is accessible or a relatively simple job to repair after opening. Even if you get a new washer, it looks like it would be difficult to get on.

The reason manhole covers are round is so that they will not fit through the openings they sit in. It looks like you're in the same boat.

It turns out replacing drains is a thing that can be done. As a DiY'er, I didn't realize that when I first started; neither have at least some of the DiY'ers I've known. But it's a relatively inexpensive fix in some circumstances.

Last edited by Tom738; 04-15-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Tom738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2015, 02:03 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 4

Well, given the look of the design, I'll need to take it half apart to replace the o-ring anyway. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the underside of the tub, and half my problem has been trying to figure out how to remove the stopper/assembly. If I could manage that, then replacing it would certainly be an option I'd consider.

I guess that would be my next step then. Any guesses on how to remove such a drain?
jwkitson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:48 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 8,651

Gee! I took a wild guess and got lucky. It is called a flip style tub drain.

https://www.google.com/search?q=flip...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Maybe you can find some info from that page.

To replace any bath drain I've ever seen you must be able to reach under the tub as there is a big nut and washer that holds it in place.

For now you can get one of those flat discs that lay over the drain and are held in place by water pressure. I've taken many a bath in a tub like that.

EDit: Unless one of the hinge pins is spring loaded, I can't think of any way to remove that disc. I also can't believe that there is no way to remove it.

Last edited by Colbyt; 04-16-2015 at 07:53 AM.
Colbyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colbyt For This Useful Post:
austinbest (04-16-2015), oh'mike (04-16-2015)
Old 04-16-2015, 05:28 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,932

All you need to do is cross two screw drivers and remove the entire chrome part. Go to home depot and replace it with another style stop that has the same size thread pattern then use plumbers putty and install the new part.
Ghostmaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement