Ice Maker Water Line? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheEplumber

Old 10-21-2016, 01:42 PM   #1
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 18,226

Ice Maker Water Line?

As part of kitchen 'Redux', now the fridge is moved to it's new location, I need to get water to it before my youngest boy dies from lack of ice.

I'm installing a prep sink in addition to the existing sink.

I 'think' I want to install the supply valve for the ice maker at the prep sink. The old fart in me says use 1/4" tubing. The only connections will be at the prep sink and the shut off near the fridge. (yes, I know, 2 shutoff's...but when water is leaking, who thinks to look under a prep sink?)

While looking online for ice maker filter options....came across some 1/4" PEX. Pretty cheap for 25'. But you can't shorten it.

What would you guys do if you had a clean slate?

Note....ALL of my water supply plumbing is copper.

Also....any suggestions on ice maker filters? I had been using the ones from HD with the quick connects.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2016, 02:08 PM   #2
Plumber

Rewards Points: 188

Re: Ice Maker Water Line?

Perhaps run it in 1/2" pex. Add a 1/2 pex x 1/4 angle stop near the refer. At the sink, use a 1/2" pex ball valve to isolate the line.

I have no opinions on filters-
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2016, 10:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 271

3M Filtrete 3US-PS01
Druidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2016, 11:59 PM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 18,226

Am I being anal about having 2 shut off's?

Was at HD tonight....nothing really stands out as being a good way to tie it under the prep sink. I think I'm just better off having a Tee under the house and using copper tubing to where the fridge will be. I have a good spot to install a 1/4 valve.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:42 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 80

Use the 1/4" sharkbite. I've use the plastic lookalike version, it works, just a bit more finaky with seating just right. Cut with a pvc or pex cuter. (or with a very sharp knife exactly square, reshape and ream)

I used a 1/2"x1/2"x1/4" SB tee, and a SB ball valve. Works great.

Cheers!
supers05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:58 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 5,714

I don't use copper anymore after seeing this at a drywall penetration leak in our house. 1/4" Poly from Ace Hardware and ferrule fittings for me.
Attached Images

SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 03:25 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2

I would agree with ditching the copper supply line. I have seen to many crack from moving the fridge in and out.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:38 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,338

We can only talk about our life time, and I use 1/4 copper. You can leave extra length so that when the frige is moved, the line to the connection moves, not the bend where it leaves the floor. Copper also helps against mildew that can grow in the line. Tried and true is double outlet shutoff at the sink. You'd know where the shutoff is. What somebody else might think is not your problem, and every home owner will learn, sooner or later. Read the instruction also to see if the filter housing needs the water shut off.
GE was the easiest to twist on and off. I use culligan now but filter life is about 2 months (taste and flow) and the fitting has to be manually turned back to the accept position. If GE becomes easier to find, and doesn't change every few years and price stays, I'd buy ge again. I use town water from lake reservoir.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:38 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2

Ice Maker Water Line?

Run this in 1/2" copper to the back of the fridge. Compression fit 1/4" plastic tubing to the fridge from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gary.bruzzese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:48 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 271

Ice Maker Water Line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
I don't use copper anymore after seeing this at a drywall penetration leak in our house. 1/4" Poly from Ace Hardware and ferrule fittings for me.

True. Nasty. When I replaced my icemaker solenoid valve before, I opened the inside. It was very dirty with green deposits which probably were the oxidation products from the copper tubing line. The poly tubing from the valve had green deposits. Our ice cubes at that time had particles in them. That's why I now have 2 filters, one under the sink and the other above the fridge.

My set up:

1. Under-the-sink water line --> to separate brass shut-off valve --> to 3M Filtrete 3US-PS01 under the sink --> to John Guest Y fitting to:

a. John Guest shut-off valve --> to poly tubing --> to dual-handle counter hot/cold water dispenser and under-the-sink instant hot water heater/tank.

b. JG shut-off valve --> to copper tubing that goes behind wall to built-in fridge on the wall opposite the sink.

2. Cheaper DuPont filter (cheap fridge filter I got from Menards, don't remember model #).

The Filtrete-filtered water can carry particulates from the copper tubing as it flows through it. I use the DuPont filter just as a particulate filter between the copper tubing and the icemaker solenoid valve.

There's excess coiled copper tubing from the wall behind the fridge. The DuPont filter rests on top of the fridge because the fridge's power module (which includes the solenoid valve) sits on top of the fridge.

So, second part of set up is:

copper tubing from wall
--> to DuPont filter
--> to poly tubing
--> to icemaker solenoid valve
--> to poly tubing
--> to icemaker module mold/tray

I have water leak alarms under the sink and on top of the fridge.

Last edited by Druidia; 10-22-2016 at 07:58 AM.
Druidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 08:49 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 5,714

For decades 3/8" line was plenty for a toilet so why in hell would a 1/2" line be needed for an ice maker?
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement