I Think Whoever Installed The Drain In My Shower Used Parts For A Kitchen Sink. Help! - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By chandler48
  • 1 Post By RRH
  • 2 Post By chandler48
  • 1 Post By TheEplumber
  • 1 Post By Ghostmaker

Old 10-07-2017, 08:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 207

I think whoever installed the drain in my shower used parts for a kitchen sink. Help!

I noticed there was a small leak in the ceiling so I removed the access panel for my tub/shower that said genius (thankfully) installed and everything looks wrong. I narrowed down (pretty sure) the leak to water getting behind the flange in my tub drain. I have a lot of experience with plumbing so I dont think this should be too difficult and the ceiling is already kind of messed up so I don't mind opening it up, but...can anyone verify what the hell is actually going on?

I'd really appreciate any tips or advice! Here are some pics of this disaster. I'm really not sure how water was even able to drain properly with it being set up the way it is. Thanks a ton.
amateurplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2017, 09:47 PM   #2
RRH

Rewards Points: 1,472

Re: I think whoever installed the drain in my shower used parts for a kitchen sink. H

Unless I missed something you just have the flange leaking.
What else are you saying is wrong?

Should be able to see where the water is coming from.

So remove the flange and add new plumbers putty and tighten. Also check the gasket on the shoe.

I myself hate those types and would just put in a new trip lever setup.
Has the strainer so less cloggs

Last edited by RRH; 10-07-2017 at 09:50 PM.
RRH is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2017, 12:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 207

Re: I think whoever installed the drain in my shower used parts for a kitchen sink. H

Thanks! The drain/flange seem to be either plastic or extremely flimsy metal. I do see the pvc it is on is threaded, though. Should i just break off the column thing and then use the tool I bought to unscrew the flange and just replace that? I just cant understand how this is even allowed, though...I just built a shower and the diameter of the pvc i used is larger and there's actually space for the water to drain. If you look at the photos, there's maybe a 1/2" under it for water to escape.
amateurplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2017, 12:36 PM   #4
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,474

Or you could have bought this http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-Pop-U...X148/204218607 and not have to break anything off. It should unscrew fairly easliy. I would replace it with a toe kicker drain. Easier to maintain than a trip lever set up. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Watco-1-8...5-CP/204758322

For information, a tub can use the 1 1/2" drain, where a shower must have a 2" drain.
JERRYMAC likes this.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:58 PM   #5
RRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurplumber View Post
Thanks! The drain/flange seem to be either plastic or extremely flimsy metal. I do see the pvc it is on is threaded, though. Should i just break off the column thing and then use the tool I bought to unscrew the flange and just replace that? I just cant understand how this is even allowed, though...I just built a shower and the diameter of the pvc i used is larger and there's actually space for the water to drain. If you look at the photos, there's maybe a 1/2" under it for water to escape.

Before you start check that P trap with the union. Looks like it could be a small leak or just dropping down from the flange. I only mention this because a lot of them leak. Better for the P Trap to have been a glued fitting.

Anyway if you dont want to replace the whole drain.

Try to remove the flange. If the cross braces break. Then will need an internal pipe wrench. Or take a jig saw or a hack saw blade and stick inside the flange. The trick is to just barely cut thru the threads.
see this

Then take the old drain shoe off to check the gasket. And to take with you to buy a metal flange that has the same threads to screw into your drain shoe.
Add plumbers putty to the flange and reinstall all.

Also with it out screw the new flange into the threads to test. Just to clean out the threads in case you nicked them cutting out the flange. If you cut all the way thru the threads in the shoe then you need a new one.
JERRYMAC likes this.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:04 PM   #6
RRH

Also just to add. I am not seeing a problem with the way they had to run the pipes. Water will always run downhill no mater distance between pipes. As long as it has some slope you are fine. Not a lot of room under some tubs to work with.
And with a shower it is common to have larger 2" pipes.
Bathtub is still 1 1/2".
Old 10-08-2017, 01:09 PM   #7
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,474

Never use the screw driver to do what that guy did in the video. If you note, he broke the tub flange in two places trying to pry out the ring. Note also those areas were never shown post installation. The plumber's putty was never cleaned off and he left a towel where the breaks were. Very sloppy and potentially damaging. Cutting the threads is ok with a hacksaw, but always use something internally to turn the ring with.
123pugsy and JERRYMAC like this.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:58 PM   #8
Plumber

Rewards Points: 248

A compression joined trap and waste & overflow assembly should never be installed in a concealed location- most if not all plumbing codes consider it a violation

Purchase a solvent weld assembly and trap and replace what you have.
Use clear silicone instead of putty. This saved me several warranty trips...
123pugsy likes this.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:21 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,930

Make the clear silicone sealant 100% silicone and not water based. :}
123pugsy likes this.
Ghostmaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement