How Is This Sillcock Connected - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2016, 03:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

How is this sillcock connected

I need to replace a malfunctioning 22 year old frost free sillcock. The one to be replaced is in an awkward space in the crawl space and I'm having difficulty determining how it is connected to the water line.I have never seen one of these faucets before so I'm unfamiliar with its connections. I'm assuming all the faucets are connected in the same manner. I have attached a pic from another more acessible one in the basement.From what I see it looks as if it is threaded to the line but want to make sure before I start working on the worn one. Am I correct?
thanks
Attached Thumbnails
How is this sillcock connected-img_0551-1-.jpg  
NJPhily is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2016, 03:43 PM   #2
Plumber

Rewards Points: 172

Re: How is this sillcock connected

That style of bib has 2 ways of connection- male to female pipe threads or solder connection. In your case the original installer opted for solder.
Easiest way to disconnect is to cut the pipe leading to the bib, then rebuild the connection using a sharkbite if you don't want to solder.
oh'mike (06-26-2016), SHR Plumber (07-01-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2016, 10:33 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
That style of bib has 2 ways of connection- male to female pipe threads or solder connection. In your case the original installer opted for solder.
Easiest way to disconnect is to cut the pipe leading to the bib, then rebuild the connection using a sharkbite if you don't want to solder.
Was afraid of that. I've soldered outdoor plumbing but nothing in as tight an area as this will be. So if go with the sharkbite where on that line do you advise cutting?
thanks
NJPhily is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2016, 10:46 AM   #4
Plumber

Rewards Points: 172

There are a couple methods. One is to get a female iron pipe x copper shark bite and screw it onto the bib. Measure the new over all length and then cut the existing line accordingly.

The method I prefer is to solder a longer than needed piece of pipe onto the bib and then insert it through the wall. Where it overlaps the existing piece is where you put a coupling-either shakbite or solder coupling. Be careful with the heat- you can disassemble the interior parts to avoid damage.

A problem I have encountered is that the hole through the wall is too small for a fitting screwed on the new bib. So the hole needs to be enlarged, or screw the fitting on after installing the bib. Or solder directly to the bib....
SHR Plumber (07-01-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement