How To Install A Frost Free Spigot Using PEX Pipe - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2016, 05:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 862

How to install a frost free spigot using PEX pipe

I want to add an additional outside spigot to my house. My plan was to cut into my existing water line inside the house. The water line is PEX. I have not worked with PEX before and wanted some advice on the best way to run the new line. I know that PEX requires special tools(which I can gain access to). I was also told that it is just as easy to use Sharkbite to save the trouble of getting the PEX tools.

I have attached some pics of the pipe that I am referring to.

Is there a "standard" size of PEX pipe when purchasing connections?
I am assuming that when running the spigot through the house, there is some sort of connector that can be screwed to end of the spigot and then connected to open end of the PEX pipe?

Thank you for any and all of the advice.
Attached Thumbnails
How to install a frost free spigot using PEX pipe-20160713_165153.jpg   How to install a frost free spigot using PEX pipe-20160713_165201.jpg   How to install a frost free spigot using PEX pipe-20160713_165231.jpg   How to install a frost free spigot using PEX pipe-20160713_165238.jpg  
kennykenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2016, 09:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,764

Re: How to install a frost free spigot using PEX pipe

Look right on you pipe at the blue writing, it's ether 1/2" or 3/4.
Water supply needs to be shut off, relieve the pressure on the line, cut the pipe.
Use a Shark Bite Tee and no tools will be needed.
Line needs to have a shut off and run down hill to the Frost free so the valve can be shut off in the winter and water drained out.
You can add a Shark Bite fitting to the Frost Free.
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2016, 10:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Look right on you pipe at the blue writing, it's ether 1/2" or 3/4.
Water supply needs to be shut off, relieve the pressure on the line, cut the pipe.
Use a Shark Bite Tee and no tools will be needed.
Line needs to have a shut off and run down hill to the Frost free so the valve can be shut off in the winter and water drained out.
You can add a Shark Bite fitting to the Frost Free.
I ask just due to inexperience, to relieve the pressure, turn on the water in the house and then turn off the water?

Why does the new spigot have to have a shutoff? I have two other outside spigots on my house and neither one has shutoff valves. I know it is a good idea but just wondering.

You mention using a Sharkbite to the frost free, does on end of the of he Sharkbite screw onto the the end of the new spigot since that end is threaded?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2016, 02:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 767

Man you have every type of piping on that system. Is that Quest or Vanguard, that gray tee in between the cooper.
ct18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct18 View Post
Man you have every type of piping on that system. Is that Quest or Vanguard, that gray tee in between the cooper.
Not sure what kind it is. It is a heavy duty "plastic" tee.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:38 PM   #6

A follow-up to my previous question about PEX. I need to replace a different outside spigot. It is attached to PEX. To remove the existing stem do I just cut the PEX on the far side(the side of the collar farthest from the stem end) of the collar?

If so, what are the alternatives to cut the PEX pipe? I know there is PEX tubing cutter. Can PEX be cut with copper tubing cutter?

Still attempting to get clarification on how to attach the threaded end of the shaft of the spigot(on the inside of the house) to the PEX pipe? I am planning to use Sharkbite if possible. I'm assuming that there is some sort of transition piece that is available for an application like this.

I have attached pictures of the existing inside showing the current spigot where the end meets the PEX.
Attached Thumbnails
How to install a frost free spigot using PEX pipe-20160719_135944.jpg   How to install a frost free spigot using PEX pipe-20160719_135948.jpg   How to install a frost free spigot using PEX pipe-20160719_135954.jpg   How to install a frost free spigot using PEX pipe-20160719_140003.jpg   How to install a frost free spigot using PEX pipe-20160719_140008.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement