How To Hang PVC Pipe For Reduced Noise? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2016, 01:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 327
Question

How to hang PVC pipe for reduced noise?

I am in the process of replacing a section of bad cast iron with PVC pipe. The 4" pipe will be hanged vertically and there's about 8 feet of it, with a turn in the middle.

I've read PVC is louder than cast iron and sometimes it can happen that the weight of the water as it flows through the pipe can cause noise, I assume some of that is hanger noise.

What do you guys use to hang PVC pipe, and how do you reduce noise? I've checked out rubber coated split rings but they seem expensive. I have some galvanized plumber's tape, would that be OK? Home Depot sells Plastic-Coated Pipe Hangers so that may be another option?
Deck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2016, 07:01 AM   #2
Plumber

Rewards Points: 166

Re: How to hang PVC pipe for reduced noise?

PVC can be hung with either method you mentioned. Then you insulate the pipe for noise.
If you replace the bad pipe with new cast iron noise won't be an issue. The hanger selection has little effect on water noise in this case
Deck (08-13-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2016, 09:28 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,268

I had the joist bay (under the toilet) insulated with fiberglass insulation. Then the down pipe went through the kitchen/family room. I had the 3" pvc pipe boxed in, not through the wall. So I had room to encase the pipe with can foam at least 1" all around. I could hear the toilet flushing but not the water rushing through.
The foam runs, esp when hot outside, so this has to be done in small lifts. If running through the wall and don't have room for foam, should use iron pipe as suggested. Go to pro store, if not homedepot, and ask if they will cut it for you. Grinder can cut and make small adjustments. The remaining iron sections must be supported independently before/after replacement.

Last edited by carpdad; 08-10-2016 at 09:33 AM.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carpdad For This Useful Post:
Deck (08-13-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2016, 11:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 327

I ended up using one galvanized strap as an experiment to see how it is and I haven't heard anything from the strapping. I figured I would hear pings or something but nothing so far. I will install some more now and I will skip insulating the pipe. This is in a basement room where the above joists are insulated, so I'm sure that helping block noise going to the above room. You can see a picture in this post.
Deck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
plumbing , pvc