How Can I Flush This Valve? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2015, 09:55 PM   #1
Rav

Rewards Points: 892

How can I flush this valve?

Attached is a pic of a BrassCraft dual outlet dual shutoff angle stop. As can be seen, unfortunately it was installed very close to the back of the cabinet (the rear valve handle is about 1-1/2" away). We needed to do maintenance to the dishwasher, but it's fed by the valve facing to the back, and it wouldn't shut off all the way. I removed the stem and found that the bibb washer had broken off and was in pieces inside the valve body. Using a mirror and a toothpick I removed most of it, plus I removed the stem from the opposite side and threaded a pipe cleaner in from there. But I'd like to flush the valve to remove remnants of debris. Can't get a bucket back there of course. Is there any hose with a fitting (what size?) that will attach to where the packing nut screws on so that I can flush it? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
How can I flush this valve?-img_1088.jpg  
Rav is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2015, 10:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,348

Why don't you re-plumb the awkward configuration and replace the shutoffs with a 1/4 turn units?
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2015, 10:52 PM   #3
Rav

Rewards Points: 892

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Why don't you re-plumb the awkward configuration and replace the shutoffs with a 1/4 turn units?
Perhaps someday, but that's not something I currently know how to do. I'm comfortable replacing valve stems and threaded valves, but haven't yet done compression fittings, let alone moving pipes.
Rav is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2015, 02:31 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,496

Remove the 3/8 tubing from the valve and put a length of flex clear plastic tubing there to flush with. Supplies needed: 1-3/8 tubing nut, 1 - 3/8 plastic ferrule, 1 length of 3/8 tubing.

Installing plastic flush tubing and new ferrule:
Place new nut then ferrule on new plastic tubing. Insert tubing into valve until it stops. Tighten nut 1 round after all slack is removed by running nut up finger tight. Turn nut one round with wrench making certain tubing stays in the valve all the way.

Flush

Re-install copper tubing and tighten nut snug only, not the one round you tighten when setting a new ferrule.

Preserve your new valve rubber by stopping the closing process by no further turning when you feel the rubber contact the seat. It takes very little pressure to stop flow. Plumber's grease on the stem 'O" ring area, internal threads and bonnet nut does wonders for future operation and repairs.

Last edited by SeniorSitizen; 12-08-2015 at 02:36 AM.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement