How Bad Is This Water Supply Pipe? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 01-30-2016, 04:04 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 144
Rewards Points: 258
Default

How bad is this water supply pipe?


Hi all,

I've been working on repairs in my house and found a possible issue with the water supply pipe which carries water from the main to the water meter.

I have a link here to show you what we're dealing with:

http://s772.photobucket.com/user/mbr...r.jpg.html?o=0

How bad is this? Should it be replaced or is there a way to save it? I am working diligently on repairing the leak that is causing this. (It's a leak from rainwater entering the house)

Thanks for any and all help!
mbrando1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-30-2016, 04:53 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 36,809
Rewards Points: 18,760
Default


Just looks like way to much humity under the house which is causing condinsation and should never has been allowed to come in direct contact with the concrete.
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-30-2016, 05:01 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 144
Rewards Points: 258
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Just looks like way to much humity under the house which is causing condinsation and should never has been allowed to come in direct contact with the concrete.
I know it's a direct water leak coming from the outside. It's been leaking that way for a while. It's seeping though the foundation wall. What are my options with this? Does it need to be replaced?
mbrando1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-30-2016, 05:09 PM   #4
Super Moderator
 
joed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Welland, Ontario
Posts: 20,134
Rewards Points: 31,580
Blog Entries: 11
Default


It looks like a copper pipe. Other possibly being a bit small I no issues.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 05:13 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 36,809
Rewards Points: 18,760
Default


Still waiting for those pictures outside.
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 05:19 PM   #6
Plumber
 
TheEplumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 11,380
Rewards Points: 162
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrando1994 View Post
Hi all,

I've been working on repairs in my house and found a possible issue with the water supply pipe which carries water from the main to the water meter.

I have a link here to show you what we're dealing with:

http://s772.photobucket.com/user/mbr...r.jpg.html?o=0

How bad is this? Should it be replaced or is there a way to save it? I am working diligently on repairing the leak that is causing this. (It's a leak from rainwater entering the house)

Thanks for any and all help!
The only way to save it is to locate the leaks and make repairs at that location- if it is leaking. Clocking your meter will tell you that.

To replace it- you can dig in a new line or possibly have a new one pulled in- which saves a lot of trenching.
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
TheEplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 05:21 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 36,809
Rewards Points: 18,760
Default


And use Pex not copper.
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 05:22 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 144
Rewards Points: 258
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
The only way to save it is to locate the leaks and make repairs at that location- if it is leaking. Clocking your meter will tell you that.

To replace it- you can dig in a new line or possibly have a new one pulled in- which saves a lot of trenching.
This is in Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania by the way, sorry I didn't include that earlier.

The leak is not pertaining to the pipe itself it is a leak of rainwater outside to in. What do you mean by pulling a new pipe in? I'm assuming I would need to replace out to the shut off at the main?
mbrando1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 05:29 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 144
Rewards Points: 258
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Still waiting for those pictures outside.
I have fixed the links so they will work properly now
mbrando1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 05:33 PM   #10
Plumber
 
TheEplumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 11,380
Rewards Points: 162
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrando1994 View Post
This is in Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania by the way, sorry I didn't include that earlier.

The leak is not pertaining to the pipe itself it is a leak of rainwater outside to in. What do you mean by pulling a new pipe in? I'm assuming I would need to replace out to the shut off at the main?
This is one method using a mole-
Another way is to hook a new line to the old one- then pull the old one out using hydraulics. The new line takes it's place and you make the connectons at each end
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
TheEplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 05:35 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 144
Rewards Points: 258
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
This is one method using a mole-
Another way is to hook a new line to the old one- then pull the old one out using hydraulics. The new line takes it's place and you make the connectons at each end
I'm guessing the sidewalk will need to be dug up for this? The corporate stop is located under the pavement
mbrando1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:44 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 5,918
Rewards Points: 582
Default


i have seen way worse pipes than that here in pa. that green is comming from the water leaking in from foundation reacting with the concrete and stone turning the pipe green..pipe itself looks pretty good ..if cost is not a factor and you want to replace it ...go ahead...if it is... sleeve it to protect it ...should get alot more life from it... imo.....
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:21 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,651
Rewards Points: 1,848
Default


It is probably K copper the thickest I doubt you will have an issue.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (01-31-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
leak , meter , supply pipe , water


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Water Pipe Calcs - Interesting Result ddawg16 Plumbing 0 05-30-2012 11:19 AM
Need help fast please re hydronic boiler water supply and backflow DanDaMan Plumbing 21 12-22-2010 07:01 PM
Need help fast please re hydronic boiler water supply and backflow DanDaMan HVAC 6 12-11-2010 02:26 PM
Kitchen Sink Moved - new kitchen sleepysmurf Plumbing 1 08-10-2010 06:38 AM
Main Supply Line Vibrates When Cold Water Runs kmcbee1971 Plumbing 1 01-13-2009 09:26 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts