Hotel Tub Back Up? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By de-nagorg
  • 2 Post By MTN REMODEL LLC
  • 1 Post By abrowning

Old 02-03-2017, 08:11 AM   #1

Hotel tub back up?

Okay, so a few months back i went on vacation with my mate, Jocelyn. The trip was fun but took a major dip when our hotel room bathtub completely backed up leaving one inch of standing water expanding across the ENTIRE room floor. Meaning, it didn't just flood the bathroom but it managed to streach around a wall and everything. We woke up at 6:00 am when we realized that the room had flooded, and immediately called the front desk. The problem is pretty much solved for me, it's just that my girlfriends phone and one of her computers had been left on the floor in the time of the incident, so she's still working on that case. The event traumatized me for weeks and months in advance, leaving me with full on nightmares.(I've hated plumbing my entire life, as a child I would run out of the bathroom when the toilet flushed or didn't flush it at all, and if the flush sounded off I'd break into a panic attack.) but lately the topic has been coming up in my mind and i need to ask this; what exactly caused the backup and what really was the backup? Before we fell asleep the night of the backup Jocelyn decided to take a bath together. And, knowing her, that bath would last several hours.(she loves to be in the shower or bath while im the complete opposite.) at first the bath was fine and everything worked normally. Let's say, 30 minutes pass and now the tub is draining very slowly. The drainage of the water slowed down immensely, and got to the point where you could barely notice it was draining. After shampooing our hair, she turned on the shower head so we could wash the soup out. She crawled out of the tub and bathroom and then proceeded to look around for her hairbrush, as I quietly watched the tub frantically. At this point the water was draining very slowly like already mentioned, and the tub overflow was completely plugged so the tub was literally at the edge full of water slightly flooding already. I ran out of the bathroom terrified pointing to the tub, trying to show that it's overflowing. She turned off the shower head and we let it drain a bit. I think we got back in and turned it on again for a while then got out. And again, knowing her, we now were going to sit in the bathroom and she was going to blow dry her hair for up to an hour. In that time period we watched the full tub of water slowly drain, and by the time we got in bed it had already drained a few inches. We kept cheating on it until just leaving it to drain over night. Due to the length of the bath/shower we went to bed pretty late so only over the course of a few hours the tub had switched to slowly draining to completely backing up. Here's the part that confuses me though. The water that backed up, it was soapy, showing that it must have been the same water we drained during the period of the bath. But this part stumped me even more; it was warm. The water was still warm, and it didn't stink, and it appeared clean besides of the soap. the water appeared to have been almost coming out of the faucet, but it had to be coming from the drain. Of course i was terrified when i woke up but Jocelyn went into the bathroom first thing and mentioned "did we not turn off the tub?.." as in it appeared to be coming from the faucet but I really don't know. I can recall late at night I heard a sound that didn't make me want to question anything, surprising not acting up my anxiety like strange noises normally would. It was a draining noise I could hear through the wall into the bathroom. So i just thought, finally, it's draining. But im starting to think that that probably was the complete opposite case...
Another thing to note is that it had been raining for days in the area as well, so another possibility is that rainwater ****ed with the sewer and draining process and caused it to back up, but again, the water was warm and soapy. It only got cold when the water for our hotel room must have been shut off by the staff and stopped the tub overflowage. So I'm still kind of left scratching my head, what happened?
Our room was on the second floor and as far as I know, no one in the building had any plumbing issues. After the incident we were moved into a bigger room as an apology I guess, but before we left Jocelyn had been watching the people that came in to try to fix the problem and according to her they were using a drain snake on the overflow and yelling at each other for liquid plumr. She said the snake didn't do anything. But could anyone possibly explain to me what possibly happened..?
Wesley966266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2017, 08:43 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 680

Re: Hotel tub back up?

Your tub backed up because the drain was clogged. I've left my cellphone and laptop in many places, never once on the floor.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2017, 08:44 AM   #3
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,780

The hotel had a plugged main line, and you were getting another guests shower water overflowing into your room.

Probably many guests , depending on the hotel capacity.

ED
abrowning likes this.
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2017, 10:48 AM   #4
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 1,834

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley966266 View Post
Okay, so a few months back i went on vacation with my mate, Jocelyn. The trip was fun but took a major dip when our hotel room bathtub completely backed up leaving one inch of standing water expanding across the ENTIRE room floor. Meaning, it didn't just flood the bathroom but it managed to streach around a wall and everything. We woke up at 6:00 am when we realized that the room had flooded, and immediately called the front desk. The problem is pretty much solved for me, it's just that my girlfriends phone and one of her computers had been left on the floor in the time of the incident, so she's still working on that case. The event traumatized me for weeks and months in advance, leaving me with full on nightmares.(I've hated plumbing my entire life, as a child I would run out of the bathroom when the toilet flushed or didn't flush it at all, and if the flush sounded off I'd break into a panic attack.) but lately the topic has been coming up in my mind and i need to ask this; what exactly caused the backup and what really was the backup? Before we fell asleep the night of the backup Jocelyn decided to take a bath together. And, knowing her, that bath would last several hours.(she loves to be in the shower or bath while im the complete opposite.) at first the bath was fine and everything worked normally. Let's say, 30 minutes pass and now the tub is draining very slowly. The drainage of the water slowed down immensely, and got to the point where you could barely notice it was draining. After shampooing our hair, she turned on the shower head so we could wash the soup out. She crawled out of the tub and bathroom and then proceeded to look around for her hairbrush, as I quietly watched the tub frantically. At this point the water was draining very slowly like already mentioned, and the tub overflow was completely plugged so the tub was literally at the edge full of water slightly flooding already. I ran out of the bathroom terrified pointing to the tub, trying to show that it's overflowing. She turned off the shower head and we let it drain a bit. I think we got back in and turned it on again for a while then got out. And again, knowing her, we now were going to sit in the bathroom and she was going to blow dry her hair for up to an hour. In that time period we watched the full tub of water slowly drain, and by the time we got in bed it had already drained a few inches. We kept cheating on it until just leaving it to drain over night. Due to the length of the bath/shower we went to bed pretty late so only over the course of a few hours the tub had switched to slowly draining to completely backing up. Here's the part that confuses me though. The water that backed up, it was soapy, showing that it must have been the same water we drained during the period of the bath. But this part stumped me even more; it was warm. The water was still warm, and it didn't stink, and it appeared clean besides of the soap. the water appeared to have been almost coming out of the faucet, but it had to be coming from the drain. Of course i was terrified when i woke up but Jocelyn went into the bathroom first thing and mentioned "did we not turn off the tub?.." as in it appeared to be coming from the faucet but I really don't know. I can recall late at night I heard a sound that didn't make me want to question anything, surprising not acting up my anxiety like strange noises normally would. It was a draining noise I could hear through the wall into the bathroom. So i just thought, finally, it's draining. But im starting to think that that probably was the complete opposite case...
Another thing to note is that it had been raining for days in the area as well, so another possibility is that rainwater ****ed with the sewer and draining process and caused it to back up, but again, the water was warm and soapy. It only got cold when the water for our hotel room must have been shut off by the staff and stopped the tub overflowage. So I'm still kind of left scratching my head, what happened?
Our room was on the second floor and as far as I know, no one in the building had any plumbing issues. After the incident we were moved into a bigger room as an apology I guess, but before we left Jocelyn had been watching the people that came in to try to fix the problem and according to her they were using a drain snake on the overflow and yelling at each other for liquid plumr. She said the snake didn't do anything. But could anyone possibly explain to me what possibly happened..?
Besides plumbing.... do you have a phobia about paragraphs...?
bob22 and lenaitch like this.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:37 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
The hotel had a plugged main line, and you were getting another guests shower water overflowing into your room.

Probably many guests , depending on the hotel capacity.

ED

Yeah. Any time the water level rises and you aren't running water that's what is happening. Disgusting.

I'm not one to suggest suing at the drop of a hat but that's an actual health hazard.
de-nagorg likes this.
abrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to abrowning For This Useful Post:
de-nagorg (02-03-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement