Hose With Auto-shut-off Protection - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2015, 08:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10,814

Hose with auto-shut-off protection

Braided steel toilet supply line was starting to leak at the crimp connection, so I replaced it. New one had this little device on the inlet side, that would shut off if it detected a blow-out in the hose. Cool.
Well, I hooked it up, opened the shut-off valve, and the toilet filled. But the first time I flushed the toilet, it must have detected the loss of backpressure, and shut itself off. Never did figure out how to get it flowing again, but I replaced it with a regular braided hose.

So, am I too stupid to install the thing properly, or should I just chalk this up to "you got what you deserve for buying at the big box store" ?
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2015, 09:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,948

So, am I too stupid to install the thing properly, or should I just chalk this up to "you got what you deserve for buying at the big box store" ?

You said it I didn't
I had that installed on my washer got rid of them also.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2015, 10:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 582

yep we all do dumb arss things....but do we learn from them
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2015, 06:41 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,130

Those "automatic shutoff" hoses never seem to work. I tried them once, for one day. Hose leaks/ruptures are indeed a big concern, especially (for some reason) for washing machines. But I've not in 40 years of owning houses seen a braided hose fail. That said, I still shut off the water to the washer when we're going to be out of town for a few days.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:23 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,476

Kind of on the pricey side and garbage imo. You did the right thing. You have to disconnect them and reconnect them to reset it so it works again. Pita.

I tried them on the washing machine, it took the washing machine over 15 mins. to fill up with water. Water just seem to trickle in. Took them back and got regular braided lines for half the price. All is good.

As suggested already above, when we leave town for a couple days, I just turn the main water off and set the hwh to vacation mode.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:23 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 12

info about automatic shutoff i needed..
kylegor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:04 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,336

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
Braided steel toilet supply line was starting to leak at the crimp connection,
this is why I still use the good old chromed brass tube. I have had three of these fail on me over the years. one at my moms house, one at a rental and the real bad one, at my house. fortunately I was home when it happened but still had close to an inch of water in the basement when it happened. most people don't realize that all these things are is a rubber hose with a pretty stainless covering over it. the hose and braid are simply crimped onto the connectors and any amount of sideways pressure can cause the connector to cut into the rubber hose.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:23 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Those "automatic shutoff" hoses never seem to work. I tried them once, for one day. Hose leaks/ruptures are indeed a big concern, especially (for some reason) for washing machines. But I've not in 40 years of owning houses seen a braided hose fail. That said, I still shut off the water to the washer when we're going to be out of town for a few days.
I had the fitting on the end of a braided hose fail....not sure if that counts or not. Here are a couple of photos.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsk8BDeut

Auto shut off valves: I've got one of these units on a rental property that I have. Washing machine is upstairs, so I don't want to take any chances with a busted hose. Here's the link.

http://www.watts.com/pages/learnAbout/intelliflow.asp

I ended up putting one of these on the hot water heater supply line as well....just in case.

http://www.amazon.com/Floodstop-Auto.../dp/B00EA426X6

Last edited by propman07; 03-12-2015 at 02:25 PM. Reason: added info for water heater shut off
propman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to propman07 For This Useful Post:
jmon (03-12-2015)
Old 03-12-2015, 02:38 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 3,476

Quote:
Originally Posted by propman07 View Post
I had the fitting on the end of a braided hose fail....not sure if that counts or not. Here are a couple of photos.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsk8BDeut

Auto shut off valves: I've got one of these units on a rental property that I have. Washing machine is upstairs, so I don't want to take any chances with a busted hose. Here's the link.

http://www.watts.com/pages/learnAbout/intelliflow.asp

I ended up putting one of these on the hot water heater supply line as well....just in case.

http://www.amazon.com/Floodstop-Auto.../dp/B00EA426X6

I agree. For any kind of rental property they are a must. You never know if anyone is home. Nice piece of mind. In our house there's always someone there and everybody knows where the main shut off is.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement