High PSI But Low GPM? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2016, 11:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 152

High PSI but low GPM?

I was looking at getting a small Rainbird sprinkler system for my yard. They recommend 40-75 psi and at least 6 GPM from the outdoor spigot. The water coming from my outdoor spigot measures 60 psi, but only 5 GPM. What is restricting the flow? My spigot is one of those type where any backflow water sprays out right where the hose connects to it. Does that type restrict the flow at all?
Thanks.
tnprogrammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2016, 11:57 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10,376

Re: High PSI but low GPM?

An in-ground sprinkler system is normally hard-piped, not connected to a spigot.

The supply pipe should be at least 3/4". If you have 1/2" pipe (5/8" OD copper) that will restrict somewhat.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2016, 12:46 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,262

Many spigots have a relatively small orifice through the valve seat where the washer squeezes down to shut if off. This limits the flow.

If you shop around you may find one with a larger orifice. Usually you can look in from either the supply opening or the spout end to see. It may require a larger diameter supply pipe and you could use an adapter nipple or coupling to transition from your existing supply pipe to the pipe diameter the spigot wants.

Last edited by AllanJ; 07-21-2016 at 12:48 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2016, 03:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,042

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnprogrammer View Post
I was looking at getting a small Rainbird sprinkler system for my yard. They recommend 40-75 psi and at least 6 GPM from the outdoor spigot. The water coming from my outdoor spigot measures 60 psi, but only 5 GPM. What is restricting the flow? My spigot is one of those type where any backflow water sprays out right where the hose connects to it. Does that type restrict the flow at all?
Thanks.

Don't know what you mean by a small sprinkler system, you match the area you want watered with the correct amount of heads, and use zone valves to water a given area.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:58 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 152

Small in this case means pre-packaged, 6 head system from Rainbird with 2 zones. So I would only need enough psi/gpm to run three heads at a time. It is only for the front yard, which in not that big. The only issue I'm facing is water flow, which is a little shy of what they recommend.
tnprogrammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:24 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,042

They always bump them up a little, you should be okay with 3 heads on a zone.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:45 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,852

Wow what a nice sprinkler system with no back flow protection. Let's keep our fingers crossed to hope your water stays safe.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement