HELP - Screwed BSPP Into NPT In New Shower... - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2016, 04:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 38

HELP - Screwed BSPP into NPT in new shower...

I'm installing a new shower system with a three-way diverter and the Chinese-to-English instructions weren't clear that the 7 (yes, 7) inlets were all G 1/2" (BSPP) and not NPT. I put teflon tape on my NPT male fittings, screwed them in until snug and then tightened them. Ran a water test and every fitting leaks. So, of course I tightened them REAL tight. Still drip.

So I poured over the instructions and found a little gem saying that "US CA install may need BSPP adapter".

So here's my dilemma - the male G 1/2" to female NPT 1/2" adapters are $17 apiece (total is $119) on top of the $1000 for the shower system. OK, if that's what I need, but what are the chances I damaged the brass diverter valve? I'd hate to spend $119 if the valve threads might be damaged.

My other option is to buy another (US) 3-way diverter valve and control. I'd appreciate anyone's guidance on this screw-up. Thanks!
DaveNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2016, 04:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,852

Re: HELP - Screwed BSPP into NPT in new shower...

Solder them. Put flux on all the MIP adapters and into the threaded socket. Then solder the adapters to the valve. Clean real good before you do this.

In the future I would not buy Chinese valves. I'll bet your shower valve does not meet the pressure balance temperature control standards nor the lead standards. That is why they are cheaper.

Last edited by Ghostmaker; 10-04-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
DaveNJ (10-04-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2016, 05:03 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. Almost think it would be easier to swap out the valves with a new one from Kohler or some other brand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2016, 05:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10,378

BSPP seals on the face with a soft washer, not on the threads (actually its a better system), so any minor damage to the threads should not affect sealing. They are both 14 threads per inch, so its unlikely you did much to the threads.

17 bucks for an adapter is pretty steep. If you shop around enough, you may get a better deal.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SPS-1 For This Useful Post:
DaveNJ (10-04-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 05:50 PM   #5

Thanks. They fit together so easily, I'm not surprised the thread count is the same. I did not use a sealing washer, so that's a good thing to know and explains the dripping. Are they washers brass or rubber (or something else)? Hopefully the adapters include them or I'll be shopping again.

Reading up a little more on this. I guess what I attempted to do is pictured on the right..

Last edited by DaveNJ; 10-04-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:17 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10,378

The sealing portion of the washer is rubber, but it is normally bonded to a steel ring. So that the fitting stops metal-to-metal when torqued, but rubber does the sealing. Sometimes the washer is included, sometimes a separate part number. You need to ask if it does not specify.

First description in your pic is not accurate. Seal is not made with metal to metal wedging. There is always clearance at the root of the thread. Sealing is accomplished by putting soft tape or compound in the joint.

Last edited by SPS-1; 10-04-2016 at 06:20 PM.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement