Help!!! Replace Fill Valve In Bathroom Toilet Problem - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2016, 09:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Help!!! Replace fill valve in bathroom toilet problem

I tried to change the fill valve in my bathroom tonight because the old one was making a loud squealing noise. What should have been a 15 min job has turned into a 2 hr cluster fuc....

While removing the old fill valve, the following part fell out of the fill valve:

Help!!! Replace fill valve in bathroom toilet problem-img_0880.jpg

I don't know what this part is and if it belongs to the old fill valve or the water supply valve.

When I installed the new fill valve, I pushed this part into the bottom of the fill valve before attaching the water supply. Once I turned on the water supply it started leaking so I took out the part and flipped it around to face the other direction. After attaching the water supply, it didn't leak but the tank filled really slow and there was a hissing sound coming from where the water supply attaches to the fill valve at the bottom of the tank. I then removed the water supply line again, took out this strange part and decided to just leave it out. Once I attached the water line again, it leaked. Sigh, so I guess I need this part.

Can someone tell me what this part is and what direction it needs to go in the fill valve?

Here is a picture of my water supply shut off valve:

Help!!! Replace fill valve in bathroom toilet problem-img_0878.jpg

Thanks,

TMan.
tman1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2016, 11:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 198

Re: Help!!! Replace fill valve in bathroom toilet problem

That looks like the bottom of a stem where the left end is where the washer seal is attached with a screw it meets with the seat of the valve.. Appears to have broken off... strange. You were correct in removing it from your line.
srloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
plumbing , toilet