HELP, Need Condo Venting System Solution - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 47_47

Old 07-26-2017, 10:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

HELP, need condo venting system solution

Hi all. This is my first time here. I'm far from an expert on this topic.

I live in a 6 story, third floor, 10 unit condo. Built in 2014. Since moving in, I have been experiencing whenever my neighbor adjacent to me (and I think above me as well) flushes their toilets, my toilet bowl of the master bathroom gurgles and empties. There's about an inch of water left in the bowl and after awhile if am not there to flush the toilet to refill it, you can smell sewer gas.

Plumbers have done many things. The toilet has been augered. The vent's have been camera'd from the roof and no blockages were seen. The vent pipes behind my toilet have been exposed and cut and the toilet has been lifted and still not blockages were seen. There are absolutely no leaks in my toilet.

I've asked the person below me whether they have this issue and they said no. No other people in my building are reporting any similar problems.

What else can it be? Help from experienced plumbers greatly appreciated.
Binny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2017, 11:36 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,694

Re: HELP, need condo venting system solution

Has to be a venting problem. Probably neighbors venting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2017, 01:04 PM   #3

If it were a neighbors, then it's most likely one adjacent to me correct? Would they be experiencing this problem too then?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2017, 10:50 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 80

Condos typically use risers. You may share the riser with one neighbor, but everyone above and below will be on the same one.

Maybe the line to the riser isn't sloping right, causing your water to sit there until some influence from a flush from above. You'd think that the cam would be able to see the effect as it sounds repeatable.

Cheers!
supers05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:03 AM   #5

Does anyone recommend pulling the neighbors toilet and exposing their vent pipes? What if they don't experience any problems? Could they still be having a vent blockage?

Also, someone has recommended replacing the toilet but I'm not too confident in that. But I was thinking trying to swap the toilet with another one in my other bathroom to see if it's the case. Perhaps the toilets P-valve is dysfunctional?
Old 08-20-2017, 09:07 AM   #6
Plumber

Rewards Points: 408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binny View Post
Does anyone recommend pulling the neighbors toilet and exposing their vent pipes? What if they don't experience any problems? Could they still be having a vent blockage?

Also, someone has recommended replacing the toilet but I'm not too confident in that. But I was thinking trying to swap the toilet with another one in my other bathroom to see if it's the case. Perhaps the toilets P-valve is dysfunctional?
To expose a vent means to remove drywall. Removing a toilet will not help you see anything
Old 08-20-2017, 09:24 AM   #7

I meant do you suggest removing their drywall to check their vents?
Old 08-28-2017, 08:26 AM   #8

I checked with my adjacent neighbor. Whenever he flushes it empties my toilet bowl down to the trap. If it goes long enough you can smell some sewer gas. Whenever I flush nothing happens to theirs. We share a wall and waste stack. Our toilets are back to back. The venting is not obstructed and has been camera'd by a plumber. So my amateur thinking is the following:

1) Neighbor has an obstruction somewhere
2) Our matching Toto toilets are not connected via a "double-wye"? but a "double-sanitary tee"?
3) we share the same vent/soil stacks but theirs is 'higher' than mine causing a vacuum effect?

I'm less likely thinking options #2 and #3 because the building is 3 years old. I just moved in it 2 months ago and apparently I'm the first person to complain of this. The previous owners have said they've noticed various bowl levels, but no complete emptying. Don't know how truthful they are being to me though. If it's option #1, where could the obstruction be in theirs? Their branch waste line?

Please help!
Old 08-28-2017, 08:34 AM   #9
retired framer

Rewards Points: 17,508

As the system is common to the building it should be up the building management to fix it.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:01 PM   #10

Thanks for the response. We are aware it should be the manager/association responsibility. However they are moving really slow and not seem to be comprehending what is going on. Also, the plumber they hired lifted our toilet, as well as exposed our vents behind the drywall and found no problem so they are all out of ideas.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:12 PM   #11
retired framer

Rewards Points: 17,508

Get a lawyer. It doesn't mater if their guy can find it, it is wrong and dangerous.
Sewer gasses kill. A couple well worded letters and you will have a system engineers looking at it..
Start recording evidence. Get food colouring and when you see it, colour the water and take a picture. Hopefully you can record time and date on the photos. do a different colour every time. Have neighbors in to see it when someone flushes the toilet next door.
So being a pain in the ass is better than being sick or worse over this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:32 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 6,694

Quote:
2) Our matching Toto toilets are not connected via a "double-wye"? but a "double-sanitary tee"?
Not sure what you mean or where this "double sanitary tee " is but I don't believe sanitary tees are permitted on a horizontal run.

Wait for real plumber to comment.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:13 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 320

See the warning about mounting some models of Toto back to back with a double t (third post). You may want to research your model with Toto if this would apply to you.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.p...-drakes.56656/
supers05 likes this.
47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_47 View Post
See the warning about mounting some models of Toto back to back with a double t (third post). You may want to research your model with Toto if this would apply to you.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.p...-drakes.56656/
I was referring to this in my previous post and will discuss with the plumber and building manager. My only concern is that if the installation was faulty from the beginning, why only recently has this problem occurred? I'd assume it would be evident much sooner.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:48 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 320

I don't know. I would think your toilet would act up from day 1.

Only other item I could see is if your shared neighbors toilet has a restricted (even partial) vent, it could be pulling the water from yours. Could he see their vent when he scoped yours?
47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
empty , toilet , venting