Gravity Fed Vs. Pressure Assisted Toilet - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By sayluv
  • 1 Post By Yodaman
  • 1 Post By chandler48

Old 08-10-2019, 10:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 192

Gravity fed vs. pressure assisted toilet

Hi-

we haven't had a toilet on our main floor for a month now so I was just about to purchase the one I wanted but it has two different models apparently. one is the standard gravity-fed and the new version is the pressure-assisted version which is about $30 cheaper.

Does anyone have a preference or know on which one is better performing and more reliable? I am familiar with making small repairs to the gravity-fed toilets but the inside of the pressure-assisted looks like a completely different animal to me.

Should I just stick with the old fashion one or give the new one a shot?

thx!
sayluv is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2019, 02:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,094

Re: Gravity fed vs. pressure assisted toilet

Either one works fine imo. you can google and read up on the pros and cons of each one then make your decision. I prefer the standard type. But that's me. It's a personal preference.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2019, 02:32 PM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 580

A pressure assisted toilet is very noisy.

Sent from my RCT6213W22 using Tapatalk

rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2019, 02:51 PM   #4
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,498

If you are speaking of "gravity fed" as in a normal toilet versus pressure assist, the latter will flush more completely every time. I have installed and recommend Niagara Conservation toilets. They work off a vacuum system created by the water in the bowl neck. Not sure of all the intricacies, but they work well. PLUS they only use 0.8 gallons per flush, so a real water saver. Cost is about $169, which surprised me.
Old 08-10-2019, 04:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
Either one works fine imo. you can google and read up on the pros and cons of each one then make your decision. I prefer the standard type. But that's me. It's a personal preference.
Thanks. Just gonna the regular old toilet I guess. I'm familiar with them and don't need any new headaches. Plus if these new toilets sound like the ones on airplanes I would be miserable.
MTN REMODEL LLC and jmon like this.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:23 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,406

I hope the people that are buying the .8 gallon flush toilets (I'll call it 3 quarts to round out a number) are happy with them. But there is no way I would buy a 3 quart flush toilet as to me, our two newer American Standard 1.6 gallon flush toilets are marginal.

And my years of working in commercial facility maintenance while dealing with plumbing clogs, makes me have this opinion. And it is my opinion only, being posted here.

The intermittent bath/shower/laundry water going down the line helps out though probably, but how much ?

Last edited by Gregsoldtruck79; 08-11-2019 at 12:49 PM.
Gregsoldtruck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:32 AM   #7

We went with the 1.6 gallon gravity fed toilet. We were at a hotel not too long ago and I think they had one of the newer pressure assisted toilets now that I think about it. I did more reading and a few articles mentioned that the pressure fed ones may not have a lot of water in the bowl. Not to get gross but when doing a number 2 it kind of sticks to the side of the bowl when no water is in there.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:01 PM   #8
Naildriver

Quote:
I hope the people that are buying the .8 gallon flush toilets (I'll call it 3 quarts to round out a number) are happy with them.
Totally satisfied with the one I installed in my bathroom. Complete flush every time. I am going on my second year with it and no problems so far.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:12 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,498

When I moved into my house a couple years ago, I had to replace one toilet right away. I put in an American Standard Cadet Elongated comfort height 1.28 gallon flush model.

It had the everclean surface but I always felt that it didn't do a good job on flushing.

The other toilet in our house started to leak and we found another type of toilet on sale at Big Orange. The Optum Vormax from American Standard. It is also an 1.28 gpf. But it is a new design and it is a much better toilet than the Cadet.

We have had to use the plunger on the Cadet or remember to flush mid session. With the Optum, no problem, never had to plunge or any other thing.

They are a bit more expensive but, I believe they are worth it.

I have bought Costco toilets in the past and they have worked out well, an occasional issue but overall pretty good.

The only stupid question is the one you DON'T ask!
Most of all, have fun! It ticks people off and ruins their day.
ktownskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:45 PM   #10
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,332

If you want simple, try a dual flush toilet that uses this Kohler flush valve. So simple even a caveman could change it. A quarter turn and the whole cartridge comes out.
ktownskier likes this.
Old Yesterday, 06:18 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,406

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
Totally satisfied with the one I installed in my bathroom. Complete flush every time. I am going on my second year with it and no problems so far.
And while not speaking so publicly, the cardiologists love that people eat fatty foods and donuts excessively. And the diet/exercise equipment companies love fat people.

And the service plumbers love garbage disposals and in the future, they most likely will love these people installing these 3 quart water flush toilets. = money in the bank for them. As they get service calls to clean out these 3 quart toilet homes, that have a long main sewer line piping in them. JMO
Old Yesterday, 05:44 PM   #12
Naildriver

Greg, I think the other drains (shower, sinks, washing machines, etc) will provide sufficient run down water to keep things running smoothly. Time will tell.
Yodaman likes this.
Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM   #13
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 1,980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
If you want simple, try a dual flush toilet that uses this Kohler flush valve. So simple even a caveman could change it. A quarter turn and the whole cartridge comes out.
Yoda......Is that the dual flush unit that they sell at Costco.

I've seen them installed and used them, and they seem to work just fine.

But, I have been hesitant buying/using in our home as I was not sure of the maintenance. Where do you find the replacement parts and how expensive,

(Ol flappers and fill cocks are cheap and simple.)

EDIT..... Or if that is a propriatary Kohler, does anyone know about maintenance on the Costco dual flush units...??

TIA
Old Yesterday, 07:06 PM   #14
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,332

I can not speak for anything at Costo, but HD (orange) is a dealer for these Kohler valves. I have 3 American Standard Cadet 3 toilets that came with this valve in them. Been in service for approx 8 years now. Out of the three, I had one seal leaking which allowed water to leak into the bowl. It is basically a big flat rubber washer. I took it out cleaned it and replaced, been fine for couple years now.

Certainly not as common as the regular flapper, but it sure is quick to change.

Related, but not on topic, the toilet flushes great 99% of the time on the low volume flush, which I think is .8 gpf, also self cleaning.
Old Today, 02:01 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,760

The OP lumped all gravity flush toilets together. There is a huge difference between 2 inch flapper valve and 3 inch flapper valve toilets.

The slower water release of the standard 2 inch flapper valve results in lower flush performance.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement