Going From Double Sink To Single - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2018, 04:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 32

Going From Double Sink To Single

We are replacing our sink in our kitchen and right now we have a double bowl sink and are replacing it with a single bowl sink. On our current double bowl sink, each drain has its own stub going into the wall. The question I have is can I just cap one of the drains off when I covert it to a single bowl? I couldn't find much information about it on the internet because it seems that most of the time on a double bowl sink one sink drain is connected to the other and they share the same stub coming out of the wall. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Going From Double Sink To Single-20180313_173238.jpg  
Crick07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2018, 05:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,952

Re: Going From Double Sink To Single

Why is your sink plumbed so weirdly?
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2018, 05:33 PM   #3

I don't know why it is so weird. Honestly, I didn't even know it was weird until I started looking on the internet and saw where most just have the one stub coming out of the wall. We have only lived in this house for 3 years but it is an older house. Built in 1978.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2018, 05:37 PM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 4,702

block off the extra drain.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:38 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,952

Just scd 40 cap the unused drain. You may need a 45 to get to the center of your sink. If your single bowel is a deep sink I would not have a garbage disposal. By the way next time you do the Garbage disposal drain cut the disposal 90 shorter and install the trap correctly. You have it backwards.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:13 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. I figured I would just be able to cap off the unused drain but I wanted to run it by more knowledgeable people. Out of curiosities sake, any idea as to why they would have put 2 wall stubs in? Everything looks original from what I can tell (no access holes cut in back of cabinet or anything).

Also thanks for pointing out the incorrect trap on the garbage disposal. I will remember that next time. As of right now our current sink is a 7" and the garbage disposal drain barely sits higher than the wall stub. The new sink is a 9" so we will have to forego the garbage disposal.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:16 PM   #7
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,674

If you are on septic, ditching the GD is a blessing. You will absolutely LOVE the single larger sink. When it came time to remodel the kitchen I did the same, and wondered exactly WHY a double sink was invented?? We have a dishwasher, so it couldn't be for rinsing things....totally dumb. Single is much better.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:53 PM   #8

We are on a septic which is one of the main reasons why I don't mind giving up the garbage disposal. Not to mention, we hardly use it anyways. We are REALLY excited about the new single bowl kitchen sink!!! Can't hardly wait.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:01 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 281

A double sink can have some advantages. Mine has one very large and deep sink. The second sink is smaller and shallower. My stainless steel wire sink caddy hangs by the sink divider and on to the smaller sink so my big sink is clutter free and I don’t have lots of wet/dripping stuff (dish brush, another brush, scraper, scrubbie, dish scourer, Dawn det bottle ) occupying space by the backsplash. I’ve found wet stuff by the backsplash leads to mildew underneath old silicone caulking.

When handwashung stuff, scrubbed and soaped stuff go to the smaller sink then retrieved for rinsing.
Druidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:33 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
If you are on septic, ditching the GD is a blessing. You will absolutely LOVE the single larger sink. When it came time to remodel the kitchen I did the same, and wondered exactly WHY a double sink was invented?? We have a dishwasher, so it couldn't be for rinsing things....totally dumb. Single is much better.
I had to consult with my domestic engineer on this one. She said double bowl sinks were around before dishwashers, like back in her younger days when she was a new bride.

She said one bowl was to wash the dishes in and the other to rinse them off in. Then, the rinsed dishes were put in a plastic coated "rinsing/strainer basket" sitting at the edge of the sink bowl to dry off, which dripped in to the rinse sink from a rubber base pad sitting under it.

Last edited by Gregsoldtruck79; 03-14-2018 at 06:35 AM.
Gregsoldtruck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:23 AM   #11
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 898

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crick07 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I figured I would just be able to cap off the unused drain but I wanted to run it by more knowledgeable people. Out of curiosities sake, any idea as to why they would have put 2 wall stubs in? Everything looks original from what I can tell (no access holes cut in back of cabinet or anything).
Some codes require 2 trap arms for a double sink, Chicago comes to mind.

rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement