Gerber 2 Handle Stem Replacements W Gerber Ceramics - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tomzpc

Old 09-17-2017, 09:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Gerber 2 Handle Stem Replacements w Gerber Ceramics

Hi All,

Replaced some old Gerber shower stems yesterday. The stems came out with a little effort but no damage to the pipe threads. The seats were worn and corroded. I was able to take the cold one out with a 90 degree seat wrench/removal tool. The hot water seat stripped but I was able to get it out with a large flathead screwdriver tapped into in and then twisted. It needed a little effort but it finally unscrewed.

I had purchased Gerber ceramic replacement stems that I was told and have read would work "without the seats". These are designed to replace traditional Gerber cup/washer stems. I cleaned out the pipe threads and then screwed in the new ceramic stems. Turned the water back on and no leaks...which was awesome. Now the problem...I opened the 1/2 turn ceramic stems for both the cold and hot water and nothing from the shower.
Replacement stems are Gerber 0098705 and 0098709. Was confident they were correct ones based on research and purchased online.

Here's a thread I found on the plumbing pro's sister site that is on these specific stems. http://www.plumbingzone.com/f2/2-han...-1978-a-33321/ Oddly, in that thread it was the opposite. The stems wouldn't shut the water off whereas mine won't even allow water to pass?

Any ideas on what I did wrong? Assuming something really dumb!

Thanks. Have a few pix trying to figure out how to add to this post....?? links below for now Pictures show Gerber hot and cold water pipe, new gerber ceramic stems installed, old removed corroded valve stem and seat.
https://pix.sfly.com/ORrirY
https://pix.sfly.com/KqHO6g
https://pix.sfly.com/pnwYt7

Last edited by tomzpc; 09-17-2017 at 09:42 AM.
tomzpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2017, 03:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,430

Re: Gerber 2 Handle Stem Replacements w Gerber Ceramics

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomzpc View Post
Now the problem...I opened the 1/2 turn ceramic stems for both the cold and hot water and nothing from the shower. Replacement stems are Gerber 0098705 and 0098709. Was confident they were correct ones based on research and purchased online.
Are the water supply lines for shower control by same shut off as sink? verify water for shower is turned on. Remove shower head and try again.

If still no water, remove stems and flush valve. Have bucket ready. Reinstall stems, try again. If still no water, you have wrong stems for your gerber valve.

Contact gerber tech directly, let them know the issue, its possible they may send you the correct parts for free. If you can't wait, take originals with you to plumbing supply or hardware store and match them up. just a couple suggestions.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2017, 05:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
Are the water supply lines for shower control by same shut off as sink? verify water for shower is turned on. Remove shower head and try again.

If still no water, remove stems and flush valve. Have bucket ready. Reinstall stems, try again. If still no water, you have wrong stems for your gerber valve.

Contact gerber tech directly, let them know the issue, its possible they may send you the correct parts for free. If you can't wait, take originals with you to plumbing supply or hardware store and match them up. just a couple suggestions.
Thanks jmon. It was a plugged up showerhead after all! The showerhead was free flowing prior to taking things apart but it seems that stem and seat removal, cleaning out the valves a bit, and inserting new stems was enough to free up debris to clog the showerhead.

All is good and such a simple thing. Thanks! Of course I was dumb enough to remove the new ceramic stems to inspect them prior to removing the showerhead. =(
jmon likes this.
tomzpc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tomzpc For This Useful Post:
jmon (09-17-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2017, 06:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,430

Glad it all worked out for you Tom. Nice job!

Yes, you are correct, sometimes it is the simple things that get you. Always helps to have another set of eyes looking at things when you get stumped.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement