Gas Water Heater Venting - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2015, 04:55 PM   #1
a sparky

Rewards Points: 77
Question

Gas Water Heater Venting

Hello all.

I had to replace my gas water heater.

Unfortunately the gas pipe was rigid black pipe and I had to raise the new water heater on 1" aluminum blocks for it to mate with the pipe.

Also it being slightly higher to begin with necessitated a No-No, a downward swoop in an elbow to mate with the existing chimney / furnace flue pipe.

To correct this I will vent it out the cinder block wall tonight.

I'm not going to buy a power vent for two reasons, it would suck air from the basement and pull cold winter air in, (my computer is down here). And cost, being retired, money is very very tight.

So, as to the question... Once it gets outside, I will turn it upwards and put a traditional (home made) conical cap on one section.

I had hoped to re-route and extend that vent in the spring to a vertical plastic pipe attached outside the cinder block chimney about four feet away. I'm thinking that the hot gasses would have cooled enough after about eight feet through the metal pipe to vent through the plastic.

Thoughts on this?

TIA,
Gerry
Gerry_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2015, 05:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,860

Good luck..... Be careful to not A. Start a fire B. die on the carbon monoxide fumes.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2015, 07:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry_D View Post
Hello all.

I had to replace my gas water heater.

Unfortunately the gas pipe was rigid black pipe and I had to raise the new water heater on 1" aluminum blocks for it to mate with the pipe.

Also it being slightly higher to begin with necessitated a No-No, a downward swoop in an elbow to mate with the existing chimney / furnace flue pipe.

To correct this I will vent it out the cinder block wall tonight.

I'm not going to buy a power vent for two reasons, it would suck air from the basement and pull cold winter air in, (my computer is down here). And cost, being retired, money is very very tight.

So, as to the question... Once it gets outside, I will turn it upwards and put a traditional (home made) conical cap on one section.

I had hoped to re-route and extend that vent in the spring to a vertical plastic pipe attached outside the cinder block chimney about four feet away. I'm thinking that the hot gasses would have cooled enough after about eight feet through the metal pipe to vent through the plastic.

Thoughts on this?

TIA,
Gerry
what your doing is dangerous and against all codes...my suggestion don't do it..
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2015, 06:32 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 127

Do this and cold in the basement won't be your problem . CO however could be and likely be a huge issue. Those power vents don't pull much air. They sound like they do but the exhaust from mine is only marginally more velocity than a persons breathing hard. And the replacement air probably comes from around the cellar door from the heated space. Jury rigging gas appliance venting is just asking for problems
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimn01 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (11-05-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 06:37 AM   #5
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

If lowering a gas pipe one inch is beyond your skills, I believe you are heading for trouble with the venting---

I have nothing more to add---you are placing everyone in the house in peril.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:02 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 158

I bought a house and the previous owner did not have a permit pulled for replacing the water heater. About a year later an inspector came out and cited me on it. In the end I had to replace a new 2011 model with a brand new 2013 model with full permit pulled and everything, plus a few other vent/valve fixes for code compliance. It was a pain in the ass. The inspector was mostly looking at a crawl space issue, but they have a full database of who did or did not pull permits on water heaters.

Avoid the troubles and make sure you are doing everything by your local jurisdiction.
mikemark8808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:34 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 450

Some of the "logic" you are using doesn't make sense. Where do you think the make up air is coming from to run the burner you have? All gas appliances burn oxygen so they get make up air from somewhere. What you have is still sucking in cold air. As has already been stated don't do what you are planning. Lowering a gas pipe 1" is (IMHO) a super simple task and certainly much easier than the dangerous hackery you are planning. "Unfortunately the gas pipe was rigid black pipe" That made me laugh.
KC_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:34 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,860

I would suggest this thread be closed. If he manages killing himself it could lead to a lawsuit.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
jimn01 (11-05-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 07:46 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 76

Couldn't you just have used a flexible yellow gas pipe to hook up the water heater and it would have been able give you that inch lower you needed. Easy fix.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement