Gas Water Heater "sticky" T-stat - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2015, 08:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 506

Gas Water Heater "sticky" t-stat

I have a relatively new gas water heater. (4yr old 40gal State Industries Direct-Vent M/N: GS 6 40YBD S.)

The problem we are having is that the thermostat appears to be "sticky" in that it will occasionally refuse to cycle on until the water is REALLY cooled down. (As in, it has to be on full-hot to take a comfortable shower.) I can prevent the cold shower by cranking the t-stat to max to fire it on and scooting it back down to where it should be.

I'm assuming this means I need a new gas valve assembly? Is this a DIY job?

I imagine me buying the part for $150 (A.O. Smith Part # 9006558005) is cheaper than paying labor to a plumber, even though he/she could then warranty the part. (And DIY-ing means I could avoid having to deal with the installing plumber again; as with many HWH installs, they had me over the proverbial barrel, and I suspect I way overpaid. (Nearly $2k installed.))

But if it ain't a DIY job, then it ain't a DIY job...
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2015, 09:25 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,204

Does this just happen with the shower? If so, may be the shower valve is the culprit.

If it fact it is bad, depending on your skills and you follow all safety precautions, imo, it's a diy job. Click on video for an example. You can go to repairclinic.com for further instructions and parts.

At only 4 years old part may be covered but probably not labor. Call manufacturer and find out. Hard to believe it would go bad that fast. They usually last the life of the water heater. Just a suggestion.

Please wait for the plumbers to respond. Thanks.

Last edited by jmon; 11-30-2015 at 09:50 AM. Reason: added link
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2015, 09:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 506

Well, I just called a local plumber. He said if I can get State to send out the valve, he'll install it for $225.

Sold! I'll gladly essentially pay $75 for a plumber to do it instead of me.
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sirwired For This Useful Post:
jmon (11-30-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2015, 10:15 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,204

Sounds good sirwired, glad you got a good deal. It's always good to have a pro do it if you can, then if anything goes wrong they're on the hook.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement