Gas Line Shutoff Question - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-22-2015, 02:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 972

gas line shutoff question

Is it OK to drywall over a gas shutoff or is that bad form and asking for trouble? I'm referring to black pipe in a basement ceiling.

Short of it is, I'll be finishing the ceiling in my basement with drywall, but in the meantime, I'm trying to run a gas line through this space to my back patio for a natural gas grill and possible heater. I have a few turns that need to be made and thus may have to make several trips to store to get all the pipe I need, so I get the exact measurements. I'm wondering if it's alright to replace the current cap with a shutoff, so that I can extend the pipe wtih the valve off, get my measurements and finish the project then open the valve for good and close off the ceiling.

This is not a valve I'd ever have to access again, it'd basically just take the place of a coupling when finished.
Master Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2015, 03:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 996

It is a bad idea and it is also against most building codes. Why not make or buy an access door to put in front of the valve?
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2015, 03:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
It is a bad idea and it is also against most building codes. Why not make or buy an access door to put in front of the valve?
Access door.... Because I want the ceiling to be a nice finished look without a bunch of access panels. I toyed with the idea of a drop ceiling for that reason, but I'm already short on headroom and I want a nice finished look of drywall.

I guess I'll just have to hope I can get the bends to the right size and/or be prepared to turn off the gas multiple times and relight appliances.

Thanks for the reply!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2015, 03:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 18,974

For an outside gas grill I'd be install the valve within site of the grill on the outside.
No way would I be installing it hidden in a crawl space or basement.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:34 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 286

You could always buy a pile of parts and take back the extra. Or move the valve to the end of the line as you build it.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:53 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,910

No reason you can't figure out the correct lengths you need ahead of time. Black iron fittings have standard dimensions and the distance you thread the pipes into the fittings is quite consistent because the fittings and pipe threads are all manufactured according to specs. Spend some time Googling black iron pipe fittings and threads and you can get all the info online to calculate every pipe length you need in advance.

I realize some people like to just wing it and figure things out as they build it but that's not the way to do gas piping. Plan ahead and it will go smoothly.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:29 PM   #7
Plumber

Rewards Points: 258

Your mechanical inspector will want an air test on the new piping. So you will need to cap off the existing appliances, then purge the system to refire so a valve won't help much unless it remains accessible
Old 06-22-2015, 09:16 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 469

Most fittings are made in china, good luck finding some that are threaded correctly
Jnaas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:19 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,942

You cannot cover a shut off without access under the gas code.
Ghostmaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:31 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 582

if its going to be like a coupling.. install a coupling and then install the valve at the grill...it will need to be tested and inspected as per gas code...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:47 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,956

Make a hole and trim it out with a can light trim ring, preferably matching the ones you use for real lights.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:44 AM   #12

This wouldn't be any valve that would ever need to be accessed again. I'd also install one at the grill and there are valves at every other appliance.

It probably is just as cheap to buy a few extra lengths of pipe, even if i don't return them, as it is to buy an extra valve, but it was a thought that crossed my mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement