Gas Hot Water Tank/in Floor Htg - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2015, 08:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 38

gas hot water tank/in floor htg

Can I use my gas hot water tank to heat floors? Converting to pex. Home has basement but laundry room is slab over unexcavated (back of garage.) Also there is a raised concrete porch I would like to convert to living space. Since I am running a manifold system for the pex as individual lines, could I not run a loop with a bypass to heat these spaces? Something like tank to laundry room then to other zones with a shut off to turn off in summer. Any thought or better systems would be appreciated.
Reno_Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2015, 10:21 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,428

The only limitation to using a "hot water heater" as a space heating boiler is the limitation of the BTUs the water heater puts out.

It is not recommended that the same water heater also be used for domestic (and potable) water since the temperature of the tank contents will vary considerably as the space heating (baseboard radiators and/or floor slab) loop circulator goes on and off.

Install a "real furnace" (forced hot water boiler or even ductwork and a forced hot air furnace).

Last edited by AllanJ; 02-15-2015 at 10:29 AM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllanJ For This Useful Post:
Reno_Jayne (02-15-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2015, 10:32 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
The only limitation to using a "hot water heater" as a space heating boiler is the limitation of the BTUs the water heater puts out.

It is not recommended that the same water heater also be used for domestic (and potable) water since the temperature of the tank contents will vary considerably as the space heating (baseboard radiators and/or floor slab) loop circulator goes on and off.

Install a "real furnace" (forced hot water boiler or even a forced hot air furnace).
Thank you. I have a forced gas furnace already, I wanted to raise the temperature of the cold concrete surface.

I thought adding a run to those cold floors before reaching the other zones would be a way to add heat. I thought that would be less costly than adding the in floor heating pads.
Reno_Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2015, 01:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,942

You would need a pump, Double walled heat exchanger, And a thermostat on your loop, also a back flow on the water feed to the loop.

The important thing is keeping the loop water out of your potable water it tends to stagnate.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement