Garbage Disposal Requirements - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2014, 11:21 PM   #1
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Rewards Points: 566

Garbage Disposal Requirements

Hi everyone-

I went to my village's website to check and see what plumbing/mechanical code(s) they follow. According to the Village of Oak Park, Illinois' website, they follow the 2004 Illinois State Plumbing Code with local amendments.

I was curious as to the requirements for garbage disposals and found the following:

Section 890.710 Food Waste Disposal Units

a) Installation. Food waste disposal units shall be trapped separately from any other fixture or compartment, shall be connected directly to the sanitary drainage system, and shall be properly vented. Dishwashers shall not discharge into food waste disposal units. Units may have either automatic or hand-operated water supply control. (See Section 890.1130(a), (b) and (c).)

Of course, I have a few questions that I hope some of you may help clarify.

1. Regarding the text above, particularly "Food waste disposal units shall be trapped separately from any other fixture or compartment, shall be connected directly to the sanitary drainage system, and shall be properly vented."

A. When the code reads "shall be trapped separately from any other fixture or compartment," does this mean that the disposal requires it's own trap that is separate from the sink trap (this disposal is, of course, installed below/part of the kitchen sink)? I know that this may sound like a stupid question but I have rarely seen a disposal in Illinois (near or in the city of Chicago) with a separate trap.

B. Regarding the wording "from any other fixture or compartment," what exactly is a "compartment?" "Fixture" makes sense but could someone cite an example of a "compartment?" Thanks!

2. The code continues on to say "Dishwashers shall not discharge into food waste disposal units." My garbage disposal (like many that I have seen) has a connection for the dishwasher drain. In fact, I thought that it made sense for DW's to drain through the disposal (my disposal has an inlet for this). What this code language seems to suggest (to the contrary however) is that this is not allowed. Am I reading this correctly? If so, how do I properly connect the dishwasher discharge to the DWV system?

I know that these questions might sound dumb and I apologize but I am just trying to understand/learn.

Thanks in advance to all of you professionals that contribute to this site!

Jimmy
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2014, 01:04 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 332
Send a message via Yahoo to curtd

Your questions aren't dumb. I also don't understand why after a garbage unit cannot simply emit waste into the sewer line. Did i read post correctly on this point ? ...In fact, when you think about it, i'm a walking garbage disposal unit
curtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2014, 05:42 AM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 898

What the rules are saying"

With a 2 bowl (compartment) sink, the bowl without the disposer can not be connected to the disposer. ie: the disposer and the other bowl each must have their own traps.

The dishwasher cannot be connected to the disposer. With a 2 bowl sink, connect the DW to a DW tail piece in the other bowl. In a single bowl sink with a disposer, you need a separate trap for the DW. For a single bowl sink, this is a real PIA.

rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (04-29-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2014, 05:43 AM   #4
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

In Illinois every sink must have a separate P-trap---

Do not use the dishwasher drain port on the garbage disposer--you will be hooking the dishwasher drain to the other sink----buy the tail piece adapter at Menards---the Depot does not stock the correct size.
SHR Plumber (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 08:24 AM   #5
Plumber

Rewards Points: 290

And the 2 traps under the sink will share 1 vent- no need to use AAV
oh'mike (05-24-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 09:24 PM   #6
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,140
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

This rule sounds dumb.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:05 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,952

It may sound dumb but it is dumber to do it incorrectly when told how to do it to code.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement