Freestanding Tub Drain - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-15-2018, 05:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 131

Freestanding Tub Drain

We are remolding our bathroom and replacing the built in whirlpool with a freestanding tub. The drain is currently at the end of the tub and most of the freestanding tubs I am seeing have a center drain. I'd prefer to leave the drain where it is. I have yet to demo but I'm assuming there is a trap already under the floor. What is the proper way to route a freestanding center drain to the end drain location. Some of the install videos I've seen use a flexible p-trap to accomplish this. Is there any issue with 2 p-traps one right after the other? I assume I can't just run a flexible pipe from the center drain to the end drain in the space under the tub since the tub drain would be too far from the p-trap?

Any thoughts on how this is typically done would be great.

Thanks,
Richard
rjschwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2018, 10:25 PM   #2
Peace be with you

Rewards Points: 1,860

Re: Freestanding Tub Drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjschwar View Post
We are remolding our bathroom and replacing the built in whirlpool with a freestanding tub. The drain is currently at the end of the tub and most of the freestanding tubs I am seeing have a center drain. I'd prefer to leave the drain where it is.

some manufacturers may allow you to Order drain on end but you will wait for it if not in stock...
IMO Go to plumbing supply houses to get expert info on choices

I have yet to demo but I'm assuming there is a trap already under the floor. What is the proper way to route a freestanding center drain to the end drain location.

move the trap & drain line

Some of the install videos I've seen use a flexible p-trap to accomplish this.

NO

Is there any issue with 2 p-traps one right after the other?

Not code

I assume I can't just run a flexible pipe from the center drain to the end drain in the space under the tub since the tub drain would be too far from the p-trap?

Would not work nor look good IMO

Any thoughts on how this is typically done would be great.

please refer to top two replies above

Thanks,
Richard

Peace
My comments towards your questions & concerns are based on my work history, knowledge, & past experiences; they are my opinions given freely in hopes they truly help/bless U. That said, if U don't consult with & or hire a licensed professional locally, then please don't blame me when You DIY... Bottom line - Safety 1st & Always; got that???
DR P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2018, 10:53 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Regarding look, it will all be hidden. I'm not getting a clawfoot or something you can see under, I'm looking at ones with a skirt all the way around that goes to the floor. I think some call them a pedestal tub?

I know I can move the drain but to save some work I'd prefer to leave it where it is so I'm not having to rip up subfloor and drill my floor joists. Also, then I can wait until tile is installed and still adjust forward or back a few inches and not be tied to the drain location. I saw this manufacturer's video (I know this is an end drain to a center drain, but the tub I like is a center drain and my drain is end, so same concept)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=H8a2yZ60Ib4

Basically I was wondering can I do this with an adjustable trap like that flowing straight into another trap assuming the vent is still close enough. When you day "not code" I'm assuing you meant not a code issue as opposed to this is not to code? If so, where is the best place to get that kind of adjustable trap? I can't seem to find something like the one in the video.

Alternatively can I just run a horizontal drain line on top of the flooring hidden by the tub skirt? Would this need another trap?

Thanks,
Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2018, 11:58 AM   #4

The more I think about this, I'm pretty sure where the drain currently is will have to be moved regardless. Because of the size of the space, I don't think the vent will be within 42" from a center mounted drain, and I can't think of an easy way to re-run a vent. I think I might be stuck with using an end-drain tub.

Thanks,
Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement