Flushable Wipes And Aerobic Septic Systems - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree97Likes

Old 04-22-2019, 01:08 PM  

Rewards Points: 578

Flushable Wipes and Aerobic Septic Systems

Yeah so I've read and read that you're not supposed to flush wet wipes with a septic system.

Problem is...they aren't distinguishing aerobic from anaerobic, and they aren't considering brand design and performance. The answer is just "no". Naturally...I have questions.

Scott and Cottonelle both offer wipes that are labeled "septic safe" (as if all septics are the same) like so many brands out there. Except, Scott and Cottonelle were actually tested for performance and both broke down completely in water in 24 hours. Other brands did not.

So...what's the deal with flushable wipes that really do break down in water like that? Still a no-no? For aerobic systems?

I gotta wipe man...I just gotta. Regular ole TP breaks apart before I can get it to the target area...
Nealtw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2019, 01:18 PM  
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,526

Re: Flushable Wipes and Aerobic Septic Systems

I have seen both...and both jack with my system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2019, 02:49 PM  

Rewards Points: 5,568

On the personal side, I also use wet wipes. I am on a municipal septic system not a septic tank, so I am only concerned with stopped up sewer lines. I have 3.5 gal flush toilets but always flush twice. May be a waste of water but that is better than a stopped up line.

Drop some of the wipes you use in a bucket of water and see if they dissolve as advertised.
Dave Sal and timkoupe like this.

Last edited by hkstroud; 04-22-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2019, 02:56 PM  

Rewards Points: 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by timkoupe View Post
So...what's the deal with flushable wipes that really do break down in water like that? Still a no-no? For aerobic systems
Take a wipe and throw it in a large glass of water.. leave it set for 24 hours... see what happens.

Do the same thing with some toilet paper.

You'll come to the conclusion that you don't want wipes in your septic system.

Last edited by HenryMac; 04-22-2019 at 03:02 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to HenryMac For This Useful Post:
timkoupe (04-23-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 03:52 PM  
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,764

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
On the personal side, I also use wet wipes. I am on a municipal septic system not a septic tank, so I am only concerned with stopped up sewer lines. I have 3.5 gal flush toilets but always flush twice. May be a waste of water but that is better than a stopped up line.

Drop some of the wipes you use in a bucket of water and see if they dissolve as advertised.

Until such time as your local council announces that it has to raise taxes due to increased maintenance costs at the treatment plant or it needs to be rebuilt or modified.
COLDIRON, Nealtw and CaptTom like this.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:59 PM  
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,138

Ayuh,..... I've spent most of my life on septic systems, 'n still live by,....

Other than toilet paper, which I use sparingly,....
The Only things that should go down the pipe, are things you ate,......
Anything else, will be a Problem,.... the only question is when,....
Old 04-22-2019, 08:02 PM  

Rewards Points: 2,076

"Flushable" is a marketing term. Anything that will fit down the hole is technically "flushable." That doesn't mean you want it down there!

Millions of people in this country have survived for decades using "regular" toilet paper. If you're somehow better than all them, get a bidet.

But don't assume that because you can't see it any more, it's gone. These things wreak havoc on municipal and apartment building waste systems. The cost is enormous. I'm trying not to be negative here, but I find it pretty disrespectful to just not care because it's someone else's problem.
Bondo and Nealtw like this.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:42 AM  

Rewards Points: 2,020

Sorry about the caps however it's a must . DON'T FLUSH ANYTHING DOWN THE TOILET OTHER THAN WASTE AND TOILET PAPER. DO NOT BELIEVE ANY PRODUCT THAT STATES IT'S FLUSHABLE. PERIOD. i apologize for yelling. I hope I can save people thousands of dollars by yelling. Sorry Rotor Router and Plumbers for taking money out of your pockets.
Bondo, huesmann, Dave Sal and 4 others like this.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:13 AM  

Rewards Points: 6,665

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDIRON View Post
Sorry about the caps however it's a must . DON'T FLUSH ANYTHING DOWN THE TOILET OTHER THAN WASTE AND TOILET PAPER. DO NOT BELIEVE ANY PRODUCT THAT STATES IT'S FLUSHABLE. PERIOD. i apologize for yelling. I hope I can save people thousands of dollars by yelling. Sorry Rotor Router and Plumbers for taking money out of your pockets.

There is no such thing as a flushable wipe.
Bondo and COLDIRON like this.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:45 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
"Flushable" is a marketing term. Anything that will fit down the hole is technically "flushable." That doesn't mean you want it down there!

Millions of people in this country have survived for decades using "regular" toilet paper. If you're somehow better than all them, get a bidet.

But don't assume that because you can't see it any more, it's gone. These things wreak havoc on municipal and apartment building waste systems. The cost is enormous. I'm trying not to be negative here, but I find it pretty disrespectful to just not care because it's someone else's problem.
Yeah, of course flushable is a marketing term. You're the guy I was talking about in the OP - just says no, doesn't distinguish beyond that, so I don't trust what you say. I have questions, and you don't have any answers to them. I didn't say flushable, I said septic safe, specifically.

I have found that I am absolutely better than anyone who wipes poop off of their skin with a piece of flimsy paper product and calls that "good". You wouldn't do that if you got poop on your arm, not sure why you'd settle for it when it's on your other regions.

Not interested in a bidet at this time, but it's on the wish list. Seriously.

Now, wreaking havoc on municipal and apartment building waste systems was unknown to me until this thread. I knew about septics having problems with them, nothing about city sewer systems. I'm pretty sure most other people don't know, either. So..maybe they aren't disrepectful and pushing the problem onto others, but rather just have no idea in the first place...?

Since this thread, we have placed a Cottonelle septic safe wipe in a glass of water to see how it breaks down in 24 hours. I am not hopeful, but we'll see.

Time for some lunch, now that I've got my appetite, lol.

Last edited by timkoupe; 04-23-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:47 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryMac View Post
Take a wipe and throw it in a large glass of water.. leave it set for 24 hours... see what happens.

Do the same thing with some toilet paper.

You'll come to the conclusion that you don't want wipes in your septic system.
I did that. My wife is the one that is in denial. So tonight it will be 24 hours and she'll see what's left. I think it's a great demonstration.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:51 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDIRON View Post
Yeah, the flushable thing again...I know. I'm talking about products labeled "septic safe" beyond just flushable. Plenty of flushable that is not marketed as septic safe. I'm talking septic safe products.

I'm curious how they specifically perform. Not interested in merely flushable.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:00 AM  
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 432

I replaced a sewage ejector pump for a friend that used those wipes. Clogged up the pump and burned out the motor. That pump cost almost $2K

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
Bondo, COLDIRON, MaineLL and 1 others like this.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:09 PM  

Rewards Points: 2,076

24 hours would be a long time to have a clog stuck in a waste pipe.

Regular TP breaks down almost immediately.

I remain skeptical that there's a problem which needs solving here, but if you have some kind of "ick" factor, I still think the bidet is your best option.

An alternative some folks use on boats with poorly designed or poorly maintained waste systems is to dispose of the paper (or wipes) in a separate, sealable bag, like a zip-lock. This is also common, so I've heard, among those who use so-called "composting" toilets. For the record, I'm not in either group, and don't plan to try out that option.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:31 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
24 hours would be a long time to have a clog stuck in a waste pipe.

Regular TP breaks down almost immediately.

I remain skeptical that there's a problem which needs solving here, but if you have some kind of "ick" factor, I still think the bidet is your best option.

An alternative some folks use on boats with poorly designed or poorly maintained waste systems is to dispose of the paper (or wipes) in a separate, sealable bag, like a zip-lock. This is also common, so I've heard, among those who use so-called "composting" toilets. For the record, I'm not in either group, and don't plan to try out that option.
The bidet is actually the best option. It may help to consider, um...medical issues let's say, that could create problems that wet tissue material works better with than dry tissue.

It's not just an ick factor, although I proudly stand on that imperative, alone, lol. It's cleaner.

You remember that old feminine product commercial back in the 80's with Mother and daughter..."Mom, sometimes I just don't feel fresh...". Well, wipes make you feel fresh, my friend. It's not just for women anymore!
CaptTom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement