FIP Joint With VERY VERY Slow Leak - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2016, 05:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 36

FIP joint with VERY VERY slow leak

Have an toilet angle stop with that is giving me fits... Used the chrome plated brass pipe with NPT ends.

Previously, I had a cap attached in order to finish the tile and make sure the faucet was not leaking. No leaks using a couple wraps of heavy duty tape. Removed after tiling, cleaned and put on new tape before attaching angle stop. A few drops per minute. I tried tightening a little, but more water. Removed, cleaned, put on more tape this time. Seemed OK. Checked for drips after a couple of hours. Yay... Then next morning, I see what looks like one drop. Dried, checked and find that I am getting about one drop every 8 hours...

Try again? Or get another stop? Could the pipe be damaged from too many cycles and too much torque? Perhaps, it will correct itself with calcium?

Thanks...
daleherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2016, 05:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 582

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleherman View Post
Have an toilet angle stop with that is giving me fits... Used the chrome plated brass pipe with NPT ends.

Previously, I had a cap attached in order to finish the tile and make sure the faucet was not leaking. No leaks using a couple wraps of heavy duty tape. Removed after tiling, cleaned and put on new tape before attaching angle stop. A few drops per minute. I tried tightening a little, but more water. Removed, cleaned, put on more tape this time. Seemed OK. Checked for drips after a couple of hours. Yay... Then next morning, I see what looks like one drop. Dried, checked and find that I am getting about one drop every 8 hours...

Try again? Or get another stop? Could the pipe be damaged from too many cycles and too much torque? Perhaps, it will correct itself with calcium?

Thanks...
try using tape with pipe dope...always works for us....don't be afraid to snug it up...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
Chrisathome (03-09-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2016, 09:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 114

I agree with bens plumbing, tape and pipe dope, let the dope dry a bit than turn on the water, it'll definitely seal!
Chrisathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement