A Few ?'s About Sewer Pipe Thickness And Insulation And Material - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2016, 11:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 86

A few ?'s about sewer pipe thickness and insulation and material

I have a cast iron sewer drain that is cracking and needs replacement.

City says I can use PVC joined to CI, but the requirement is "shall be insulated to meet a 45 sound transmission class. For our purposes, what that means is every PVC drain has to be encased in 2 inches of closed cell foam insulation with a 2 pound density to quite the noise of water running through the drains"

The current pipe is 4" cast iron. I would like to go with PVC for material cost savings, but - correct me if I'm wrong - the insulation requirement would make the OD of the PVC thicker than the current cast iron? I don't think the wall would fit that.

What kind of material exactly are they referring to regarding the insulation? Is it a fiber glass? Can someone send me a link?
odie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2016, 11:13 AM   #2

Re: A few ?'s about sewer pipe thickness and insulation and material

i should add, if i have another way of metting the "45 sound transmission" class without needing 2" thickness of foam, i can propose such. if there are thinner more denser options that the foam (which i still don't exactly what that is), please let me know.

i will try to post pics if i can get my darn camera to unlock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2016, 11:30 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,528

Where are you from? That's requirement sounds ridiculous to me... but I guess it depends on where you are.. My sewer pipe is a good 5 feet underground... no noise to be heard from that thing...
ryansdiydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2016, 11:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansdiydad View Post
Where are you from? That's requirement sounds ridiculous to me... but I guess it depends on where you are.. My sewer pipe is a good 5 feet underground... no noise to be heard from that thing...
i should have clarified. this is referring to the vertical pipe section on an inner wall within the house.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:56 AM   #5
Plumber

Rewards Points: 180

Why not repair with cast iron?

Your code reference must be a local code. This is not a typical plumbing requirement. I would ask your code official for a reference document that satisfies the requirement.

Side note- sewers are typically exterior, while building drains are interior- at least in my neck of the woods...
Advertisement