Fernco For Sink Drain To Copper? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2014, 07:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 46

Fernco for sink drain to copper?

Hello all-

I have a sink drain that won't stop leaking. Existing waste plumbing in my 1960's house is copper. The outer diameter of the copper pipe is quite a bit smaller than the PVC I'm using to install fixtures. For example, when I installed my bathtub, the 1.5 inch PVC connected to the 1.5 inch copper using a fernco adapter which was 1.5 to 1.25. Otherwise it leaks.

Now I have the same problem with my bathroom sink. Only the 1.25" ID copper drainpipe connects to the 1.25" PVC with a fernco fitting that states it works on all materials. As with the bathtub, it doesn't. Only problem is fernco doesn't make a 1" adapter, so I can't play the same trick of going down a size. Pretty frustrating problem, any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
killerformula is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2014, 03:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18

Amazon has everything, Fernco P1056-100 1-Inch PVC or Copper. Hope this helps.
Fred Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2014, 04:09 PM   #3

Thanks Fred. I'm actually not sure that fitting will work either. I think it will fit on the copper end and be too small for the plastic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2014, 06:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 136

I hate to say this, but I reccommend replacing all the copper drain lines. It was a decent idea and was faster to install than cast and galvanised back in the day, but here in the last 20 years or so, the effects of hydrogen sulfide gas (by product of human waste) on copper is deteriation. usually at the top of the pipe. I know replacing it all is not what anyone wants to hear, but the copper is going to continue to go bad untill it is all replaced. I just like getting rid of it asap and not having to worry about it failing and ruining any completed work later.
karin els is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:54 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 18,998

I agree, any old copper drain lines I've seen where leaking.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:21 PM   #6
Plumber

Rewards Points: 290

Why not use a 11/4" DWV trap adapter?
Old 10-28-2014, 12:07 PM   #7

I will look into the trap adapter, that may be the way to go and just give up on the fernco.

As far as the pipes are concerned, I demoed out the whole house and had a plumber inspect my pipes. We both agreed the system looked great apart from a couple of the traps which I've replaced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement