Faucet P Trap Is Supposed To Have Movement? Slip Washer Concern. - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2016, 10:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 213

Faucet P trap is supposed to have movement? Slip washer concern.

I replaced a bathroom faucet including the drain pipe that connects to the P trap.

I installed the compression washer aka slip joint washer in the correct orientation (the smaller side of the bevel faces down into the P trap and then the nut tightens it onto the P trap). The washer I'm talking about is seen here at the 11:35 mark

The washer was from the old drain pipe I re-used it and it fit snugly over the new drain pipe, so I don't think I used the wrong size drain pipe.
I finished everything with the new faucet and then tested and it works fine but I noticed I can move the P trap up and down as if that washer isn't compressing and giving a good seal. The washer seems to be in perfect condition.

I don't understand these hard plastic washers. What makes sense to me is a rubber washer as seen here
because it will compress and give a watertight seal.

With the water running, I pulled down in the P trap (because there's movement) and if I pull it down enough, water starts to bubble out. I imagine if the water gets clogged, it can drip out of this seal because it's not actually watertight. I checked the faucets in my house which have never gave me a problem and one is all metal piping and has no movement, but the other is the same thing and it moves up and down but never gave me a problem even though the drain has backed up many times.

I'm just wondering if this in normal, or should I just replace the hard plastic washers with a 30 cent rubber one??

If you're not a plumber or very familiar with this, just examine what I'm talking about by watching this again at this time

The washer ring is hard plastic. The nut tightens down on it and gives an poor seal. It doesn't matter %99 of the time because water is flowing in a way that the washer will never touch water but if the water backs up, won't it just get though this hard plastic-to hard plastic seal made by the washer and nut?

Thanks

Last edited by gunner666; 06-14-2016 at 10:48 PM.
gunner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2016, 05:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,952

Re: Faucet P trap is supposed to have movement? Slip washer concern.

Put some meat on those nuts when you tighten. Once it is tight you ain't moving it.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
SHR Plumber (06-23-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2016, 10:35 PM   #3

I just got word that it's leaking slightly from the joint in question. I tightened the nut very good with a wrench. I'm confused though because the hard nylon washer most likely wasn't deteriorated or anything wrong with it that I re-used it. And what confuses me is if I installed the wrong size (too small) vertical pipe connected to the pop up drain, it should have been pretty noticeable that the nylon washer slipped over the new pipe with too much play in it but from what I remember it barely slipped over.

I will see what they have at home depot/ lowes. I found the rubber ones online but they were "out of stock" online. But nylon should be fine and maybe I missed something with the instillation. But it's very simple process but still I have almost no plumbing experience.

Worst case scenario, if the vertical pipe coming from the pop up drain is slightly smaller than it's supposed to be to tie into the P trap, can I get a reducing washer or fitting or would it be easier to just return the faucet and get the right size one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2016, 10:58 PM   #4
Plumber

Rewards Points: 290

You can buy a bag of replacement washers for a couple bucks. Go ahead and replace the used ones. It may have hardened with age- maybe not.... I have seen them slightly over sized like you describe.

It's my practice to replace all washers when working on drains. They're cheap and easy to change out and saves call backs like what you're experiencing now.

Check the new traps at your hardware store and see if they come with the rubber washers- maybe replace it all...

As for sizes, there is 11/4" and 11/2" If it's too big, you'd know it when you try to put the 11/2" on a 11/4" tailpiece.

A little trick I do is put a small amount of teflon pipe dope on the treads. This is not to seal the threads but to reduce the thread friction when tightening the compression nut. It only takes a little..
Old 06-16-2016, 07:46 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,538

Some homedepot traps were thin enough to deform when tightening the nut. Also plastic washers sometimes deform/expand where seal is broken.
Dearborn brand seem to be superior to what I used to use from the box stores. Amazon, and just ordered a few for the future. The green rubber washers also give better seal.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:11 PM   #6

all the beveled/tapered washers for this type of joint I saw at home depot were indeed soft rubber/plastic, not the hard plastic washer that was there. correct the standard pipe for the BATHROOM sink faucet is 1.25" and the P trap is 1.5" at this particular sink (but I guess it can be 1.25 or is standard to be 1.25 for most bathroom [ the larger the better if you ask me so there's less chance of clogs]). so I used a 50cent REDUCING washer which was 1.25 and 1.5" in the same washer. I can't find it for some reason but it basically looks like the green one here on the top left if you zoom in.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-...698C/205154062
Also where the old washer was in the P trap was all gunked up and I didn't know to clean it when trying to re-use the old washer (couldn't see the gunk) but I cleaned it out and yes made sure it was plumb and in line, hand tightened it real snug and there's no leak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement